'61 Schwinn Panther w/ tank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this frame at my local Cycle Swap Meet this sunday. wasnt really a steal but i had to have it.
seller told me the tank alone was worth $200, lol I dont know maybe it is.
its a middle weight "24 size frame dont know if that makes it alittle more rarer. and was told the badge is pretty desirable also.
ddint take a picture of it but its the chrome w rays type and its clear plastic covered
let meknow what you guys think fellas.
thanks

schwinnpanther_zps4d478101.jpg

As long as you like it, that's all that matters, if you bought it for a flip, well not so much, the tank maybe $125 with a working horn, the badge sounds like it might be worth some $ but being a 24" usually detracts value compared to a 26", looking forward to seeing it finished.

those peanut tanks are desirable and so are the sunburst badges. I honestly dont know if there is a tank size difference from a 24" to a 26" on those tanks, badge would be the same but often times the adhesive peels the chrome off when removing or people end up snapping the 1 little guide post on the back. If you remove it , be gentle. Good luck finding a matching guard though, not impossible, just tough.

Thanks Jeremy and gold st. Customs.
I would imagine the tank would be smaller since the frame is
Smaller to fit proportionate. I don't plan on hunting down parts I know it will be difficult.
Honestly I paid $175 and the seller threw in a free pair or mustache handle bars. Im selling
My dyno ultra glyde and my ross frame w/tank to make up my $. if anyones interested.

plan on making it a bare cruiser
no fenders
no chaichain guard
Fat tires (if they fit)

I may be wrong, but I don't think that's a 24" frame. A 24" frame would have a shorter headtube. It looks 26" to me, and besides, I've never seen a peanut tank on a 24" bike. (Wrong again? :roll: ) Measure the frame from the center of the BB to the top of the seat post. A 26" frame should be 18" or so. A 24" frame would be 16".
For your sake, I hope I'm right. 8) Gary

They didn't make those in 24". Good find!!

I think that's a great find. Like you said, not a steal but the rest of the stuff is common enough to put together a high quality bike and worth what you'll put into it. I've got a rather ratty but correct early (59-62) crashrail three rivet red S seat.

Also, I'll make you back a few bucks if you want to sell that lock clamp that's on the seat tube :wink: I've wanted one to mount my Rollfast lock on my Rollfast bike. Or I'll trade you that seat if you're interested.

B607,i measured it, and it IS ABOUT 18" from center of BB to top of seat post
looks like youre guys were right! man you dudes are good.
it looks small for some reason :shock:
and even the seller told me they discovered it was a 24" while i went to get the cash
he was selling it as a 26" im confused, lol.
well i guess i need some 26" rims now.

Back