67 Stingray-Updated :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this bicycle in the freshfinds section not too long ago, I've been staring at it on my porch now and got the urge to start fixing it up.

originally this is what I had
stingray01.jpg

I wasnt to keen on the sky blue paint, and the handlebars were a bit tiny. I'm also not sure what model stingray it is I thought it might be a deluxe other course some say it might be a junior, not that it matters much to me.

so after a few days of of dismantling, rounding up parts, sanding, priming and painting i have this.
stingray02.jpg

I like metallic green a bit more :p
stingray03.jpg

its not finished yet though, I need a new front tire...its not too obvious in the photos but the front tire is in awful shape. I also gotta replace that seat, i'm thinking a white one, maybe a light too.
stingray04.jpg

Re: 67 Stingray

Sweet and simple.. I like it. Did you do any painting to the chainguard? Do you plan on cleaning up the rust on the chrome or leaving it as-is?

i'll clean up the rust on the chrome eventually, i'm at that point where i just want to take a breather and stare at the bike for a little bit....yea i painted the chaingaurd, i think it came out pretty decent, some spots could be better :)

I think you did a good job on the chainguard.. rust or not the bike is still cool..

that chainguard is top notch, i love the reverse's was it a decal ? masked? screened?

nice green too !

man i wish i didnt have to build a bike for my niece...or id let you haver the white persons nanner seat i have.......
great job so far! cant wait to see it done(you might wanna post that at the schwinn site to get all kinds of GREAT comments!!! :roll: )

Not too shabby... What thoughts are you kicking around to do next on the Stingray?

CCR said:
that chainguard is top notch, i love the reverse's was it a decal ? masked? screened?

nice green too !

thanks!,
The chaingaurd was kind of an impulse actually. I had orignally planned on painting it yellow, so got a black decal for it, however the store was out of yellow so i saw that green, and grabbed it. When i got home i realized where i went wrong :p i saw that some of the older stingrays had a reverse decal so i borrowed from it and just use primer white on that area and then clear coated over it and then applied my black decal. I like the result.

Next on the list for this bike is cleaning up the rims, kickstand, a light,seat, and fenders (the fenderless look though is growing on me though)
then i think i might be finished with it.

sensor said:
man i wish i didnt have to build a bike for my niece...or id let you haver the white persons nanner seat i have.......
great job so far! cant wait to see it done(you might wanna post that at the schwinn site to get all kinds of GREAT comments!!! :roll: )
i havn't been on that site in a long time haha, maybe i'll show them the final product :p

That is sweet, I now have another example for the kids in the neighborhood of what they should be riding. Somtimes I wish I still fit a Stingray. If you ever need a kidney, I know a half dozen kids that would trade an internal organ for an original stingray.

well done i am a sucker for the early style stingray lettering. a personal note when you do get a new front tire get a black wall i dig the white wall and black wall combo. nicely done needs a fox tail hanging from the sissy bar too well thats what i would do i will shut up nice job makes me want to build a ray.

karfer67 said:
well done i am a sucker for the early style stingray lettering. a personal note when you do get a new front tire get a black wall i dig the white wall and black wall combo. nicely done needs a fox tail hanging from the sissy bar too well thats what i would do i will shut up nice job makes me want to build a ray.

yea, its really growing on me too...unfortunately i ordered another tire that is whitewall before the black wall grew on me. I want to make another ray later in life for a friend of mine, i may do the black wall and white wall combo on that one :D

quick question, I got a badge for the bike but i dont have the screws to put it on the headtube. does anyone know what kind of screws work??

That green looks good with that white. Post more pics when you finish her.

thanks for all of your input guys,
i have some crappy news tho, I was trying to get the headbadge in with some brass woodscrews and the screw went in halfway and got stuck, i tried to unscrew it but it would come out, so i took pliers in an attempt to wiggle it out, but it broke off at the base....new screws and they broke..now the hole is filled with a brass peg, anyways now the only choice at getting it on is with adhesive i suppose....

all i have is gorilla glue and i dont think i should use that...any suggestions? silocone maybe?

i'm bummed out :(

no worries i have done that myself acutally. wanna know a dirty little secret? the large schwinn badge on the ratty truck is held on with double sided tape too because i could not find a cycle truck badge. and i figured i had already hacked the poor thing up enough.

karfers right 3m double back tape works very well got that on my 78(i tried to get frozen screws out with pliers and had the same thing happen) check at your napa store they should have small rolls very cheap(if not local autobody supplier theyll have some)

Anyone got a link to a site where these whitewall s-7 tires can be found? i have the original rims to my Fleet lowrider, and cant find white walls in the right size.

ricksterr1221 said:
Anyone got a link to a site where these whitewall s-7 tires can be found? i have the original rims to my Fleet lowrider, and cant find white walls in the right size.

http://www.memorylane-classics.com

they are the westwind tires. thats where i got mine from, i think there is a typo there they say 26" but i called the guys and they told me they had the 20" whitewalls.

Back