69 muscle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after some time I got around to rebuilding the schwinn I picked up a few months ago. I was looking at rebuilding it back to new, but looking for schwinn parts in canada can be a little difficult. Ccm are the more common bike up here. Also I just wanted something to just cruse and have fun. So I looked for the parts I wanted and here is what i got so far.

Here is what I started with. A 1969 schwinn stingray, Lemon Peeler. Single speed.
P3280002.jpg

This is how I got it. Someone repainted the frame and forks and the chain guard. Why the chrome forks and the chain guard, I have no idea.

P3280004.jpg

The seat will have to re-covered.

I took apart the forks to strip the paint off and polished them up. It didn't take to much time. Oven cleaner, CLR and some SOS pads. Good as new.
Before
P7200003.jpg

After
P7210006.jpg

So I striped the bike down and got it ready for paint. I went to my friends house who had a sand blaster and had the frame done. But Ideas change. I wanted to make this a 3 speed bike with the shifter on the top tube. I got the parts (more to come). I had to put on a rear brake bracket. So out came the welder and here is what I came up with.

P8160009.jpg

P8160001.jpg

P8160005.jpg

P8160002.jpg

Primed and ready for paint.
P8160015.jpg

Painted and drying for some time.
P8160018.jpg

Now here are the goodies for the bike.
New/used 3speed hub and rim. Just a little cleaning to do.
P8140001.jpg

P8140004.jpg

A NOS 3 speed shifter by Cycle rite Suntour. I didn't want to open it! LOL...
P8140005.jpg

P8140013.jpg

P8140011.jpg

I also got a new set of apes, Just a bit bigger and a new sissy bar to match.

I will have to find a few more parts to finish it up. For now I just have to wet sand the frame, then clear. After that comes the fun. Rebuilding it and going for a ride.

Thanks and enjoy......

Muscle bikes rock and you have some good stuff to work with there.
The orange looks sweet and I really like that shifter.

I got the shifter at Backpeddling in guelph ontario canada. He has a few more there, and a few other ones. The place is full of bikes. New and old. Great place to shop for old stuff. I know he has a few of the schwinn ones and a stormy archer that looks like a shifter out of a old cuda or something like that. I wanted that one but was out of my budget. Here is the web site. http://www.backpeddling.com/ Thanks for the good words...

Looks great so far :D I'm always amazed at how Schwinn chrome cleans up :shock:

Ask for clayton, he is the owner. He knows his stuff. Tell him the guy with the watch tattoo told you about them. LOL... he will know. Hey peatbog, Did you wet sand your front before you cleared it? And what grit did you use? And did you clear over you decals? Just asking before I screw it up. Thanks....

Thanks peatbog. I thought you would use a finer grit then that.

A.O. smith water heater.... It is a bradford white....LOL. Just a spare I got for someone. As far as finding a 16 inch wheel....no luck for me on that. I am just sticking with a front 20 inch for the front for now.

Punxs said:
Thanks peatbog. I thought you would use a finer grit then that.

A.O. smith water heater.... It is a bradford white....LOL. Just a spare I got for someone. As far as finding a 16 inch wheel....no luck for me on that. I am just sticking with a front 20 inch for the front for now.

ok going to check with a couple people that I know here locally and see what I can find for you as far as the front wheel goes

Blue moon bike is located in Sycamore, IL. I thought about the 16 inch wheel, but I am sticking with the 20 inch wheel. Easier to find wheels and tires in 20 inch. THanks though...

Well things looked good till you look real close. The paint seemed to go on nice but it didn't. I paint the frame on friday and let it dry till monday evening. But it seemed like the paint was still soft in some areas, like the bottom bracket. I was wet sanding it and my finger nail took out a little grove in the paint. So now I have to sand the bike down and repaint it again...... So much for riding it soon. Oh well I still have a few chrome pieces to clean up and assemble the fork. Delayed for the time being..... LOL

it has been awhile.... Done as of now but will have to repaint it one more time. The paint I got is crap. Chipped way to easy and had to do some mods to get the shifter to work right. I will also will be rebuilding the wheels with new rims and spokes. Once that is done I will have to go for a ride and get some better pictures of the bike.

That is a mean looking machine!

Back