76 Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm not really a muscle bike guy but picked this up really cheap.

It looks like a repaint and obviously converted to BMX by previous owner. It came with brand new tires. I plan on flipping it and am wondering if it is worth it to put it back to original $ wise. It came with the original fenders but they were painted too. I hit them with a chemical stripper to find that someone had sanded them prior to paint and ruined the chrome.

Neat find. Those early BMX converts are cool.

You would be surprised what some early BMX parts will fetch when sold, the stem, bars, and seat. Even the tires might be good items. Post the brands they are and someone will give you an idea of what those might be worth. You could sell them and then you'll have some extra cash to convert it back to stock if you want.

Decent Find, looks like a fun rider. I don't know that I would return this back to the Banana Seat bike it once was. Unless selling the exisiting parts offsets the Replacement Stingray parts enough. There is a lot to consider being its a 76 and a repaint. It would need seat, sissy, handlebars, stem, grips, are the rims correct Schwinn S-7 upfront, S-2 rear. If it has dirt bike tires you would need to change those out. The bike has a Junior sprocket and early chaingaurd, which if you put the 76 stuff in it you would then need the larger sprocket and Chaingaurd too. I would flip it as is by me that's a $100 to $120 bike, or part it out if the BMX stuff is valuable. By me clean complete decent original paint coaster brake stingrays sell $150 to $200 usually at best unless they date back to the 60's

I agree with ChicagoMuscleGuy. To bring it back to original condition it will cost you more time and money vs. what you would get out of it. I'd try to flip it as is.

I think the bars might be where the $ is.... They look Anodized - Measure the width, most alloy bars from this time were 23" but these look more like 28"-29", if so they could be a few $100. Very tough to find pro sized alloy bars in any condition.

Back