ORBO 9000 Foot Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
I have this old 67 Typhoon that was on MBBO 3 or 4, that I going to be changing over to be an Off road monster.
20240102_064622.jpg

It's a solid frame, lots of patina and makes a perfect candidate for a ratty old off road bomber.

As typhoon usually occur at sea level in the pacific, figured one at 9000 feet on an off road trail is gonna be unique.

The highest trail near me, has a trail head less than an hour away. This time of year it's snowy up there. Parta Might melt off before the buildoff is done, but the bristlecone loop is one of my favorites when it's 110°F in the valley.

Here is the elevation profile.
Screenshot_20240102_114624_MTB Project.jpg

Will be planning for pics and video from one or more of the high trails before the end on this buildoff.

That's a helluva elevation profile! 300ft/mile feels steep enough on foot.
Half of it is the emergency forest service access road. The second half is a foot trail that ends at the ski resort parking lot.

I usually stop and rest a few times on the way up. On a bomber, it's like riding BMX. Three pedals and coast, thee pedal again and coast leaning to the other side. Repeat until you gotta rest.

The hardest climb on most of the Charleston trails is on 'upper showgirl'. It's a hike with bike for at least a half mile in a couple of spots where it goes straight up the face of the mountain. Fun to come down for the daring. Have a friend or two that hike down a couple of the hairy spots on that trail.

Hehe, funny story on Bristlecone. One time in 2018, we were up there there was a 20-something lady training for MTB race in Arizona. She lapped us 4 times that day... o_O

We did stop at the top for an hour, but she could ride circles around us. A lot better/newer equipment as well. I think she was on a brand new Santa Cruz. She called my 2005 specialized rockhopper XC a classic MTB .

Good times. 👍

I'm not ready for stuff post-2000 to be classic anything. That's just a couple of years ago, right?
In MTB land, 2005 is ancient history. That's 26ers!!:oops:
Even 2015 is considered old tech in some circles. Certainly not these circles.
Anything can be made into a classic at Ratrod Bikes

In MTB land, 2005 is ancient history. That's 26ers!!:oops:
Even 2015 is considered old tech in some circles. Certainly not these circles.
Anything can be made into a classic at Ratrod Bikes
Hehe, I look at the prices of the new ones and calculate how many prewar bikes I can put together for that price...

I have this old 67 Typhoon that was on MBBO 3 or 4, that I going to be changing over to be an Off road monster.
View attachment 255494
It's a solid frame, lots of patina and makes a perfect candidate for a ratty old off road bomber.
That Typhoon will make a nice off roader for sure! Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

I'm not ready for stuff post-2000 to be classic anything. That's just a couple of years ago, right?
I still think 20 years ago was 1980-something, and I'm only 30! I'm not ready to feel old yet, and yet they're already appraising Pokemon cards on Antiques Roadshow! POKEMON CARDS! I remember trading those things on the bus to school in 3rd grade!

I still think 20 years ago was 1980-something, and I'm only 30! I'm not ready to feel old yet, and yet they're already appraising Pokemon cards on Antiques Roadshow! POKEMON CARDS! I remember trading those things on the bus to school in 3rd grade!
Hahaha!

I remember buying those for my daughter when she was in third grade...

Looks like youve had a crack at removing this a while ago...or are those chip marks from the attempts recently,
Chip marks were freshly added by me with the grinder just befor I put the neck in as the seat post n 2015. They have slowly rusted over time.

I did attempt removal and added penetrating oil in October also.

Edit: I didn't try mallet nor pipe wrench in October though. Thought that would be the trick...

Last edited:
You did not fit a wedge in that seat post when you fitted it, then removed the bolt?
When i put it together, No quill or bolt were used, I just pushed the stem in as far as it would go.

Probably put at least 500 miles on it that way. Not sure it will ever come apart now. Until it does, can't continue.

For this one, at some point soon, i May just put new tires, the muscle bars back on it, re spring the sissy, Those quit springing a couple years ago. And then call it good.

Time to pick which bike gets attention next. Thinking predator before mongoose.

Last edited:
I've used a forklift to pull a seatpost out of a frame before. You could also strap it to a tree and a vehicle and try pulling it out that way. Both of those have their own risks, both to the rest of the frame and to yourself!

Latest posts

Back