A little help with the Hawthorn Flyar??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch!..... yeah that is kind of spendy. Thanks though. I sent him an email.. See if maybe he would take a bit less or pay the shipping.

Nice looking bike, chap.

It is possible to straighten bent forks (for free) assuming that it's either the actual steerer tube that's bent - or if it is the legs themselves, that both legs are bent equally. It sounds silly, but this fix has seriously worked for me no end of times:

Okay, so let's assume the forks are bent backwards as if the bikes hit a wall squarely at high speed...
Strip the cycle back to frame, fork & headset only. Now turn the fork's so that they are facing 'the wrong way', pick the frame up by the rear wheel dropouts & GENTLY AT FIRST repeatedly knock the front fork onto the ground, continuing to push downward on contact & adding more pressure as necessary. In my experience, the forks will eventually bend back to their original profile with perseverance. The 'out of true' section tends to bend more easily than anywhere else on the fork due to the stress it was put through initially when the damage occurred. It's important not to use more force than strictly necessary though!!!

Honestly, I' ve done it many, many times & it does work!

Here a pic of a straight one that I think is forsale(not me). A little expensive though.
I looked at the guy's other stuff... You'd think it was gold... Or personally autographed by Frank W. Schwinn!! $1000 for a Monark in primer?! No thanks! ~Adam

I too saw that bike at the Centralia Swapmeet and was one of those people who thought "I'd buy that if only..." Glad to see it went to another ratter. :D You might try getting intouch with rms37... He was there and has a lot of knowledge and parts... I've got a crank that came out of my wife's hawthorn if you need it... It's stamped WALD on it... It had a skiptooth sprocket on it...

Back