A little help with this Raleigh would be great.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find a serial number on it anywhere, probably because it's been repainted, and I'm sure there's some things on it that aren't original but I bought it because it's to be my first compete restoration project. Any info you guys can give me about it would be great.

544b7664c81517f086b90e6b372435b3.jpg

ebe62766b5de911c790b41c962b25bd1.jpg

6da25b34e45d328c78407b6824ee2fc8.jpg

7473af35fabe5e2b06cfb1e61faf0ce9.jpg

21d1063a6bb00362ab08dbc9ca41f19a.jpg

That looks like it'll be a great resto project. Nice find.
It appears quite original, complete and a nice starting point.
My guess-timate is '50s Tourist? and the rear hub casing will have year and month date stamped to at least start you off on dating the old girl.
asc300-400.jpeg

Here are a couple of links that'll let Sheldon Brown help start your investigation and resto.
http://sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html
http://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/dating.html

Last edited:
The only stamping on the hub I can find Is AW. There's no serial number after that.

I'm pretty excited that you think it could be a pre-war bike though. I was just commenting the other day to a friend how I'd like to have a pre-war era bike. Hopefully we can get this thing narrowed down and confirmed before I start to get real excited.

I zoomed in on your hub pic and think I saw an 08 as a month code (August) under, or between the 'Sturmey Archer' engraving and the sprocket, but the likely year stamp view was obscured by spokes.
I'm pretty sure the year will be stamped there too as indicated by arrow reference pic.
I'm no Raleigh guru, this is just a handy Sturmey dating tip.
Someone more in the know will likely help you out soon too.

Awesome. I'll keep looking here in a bit and see if I can find or more about the hub. Thanks!

Here's a pic of the only stamping on the hub I've found, after a thorough once over:

8a69c189a3ad0c8d0b67b7c358121f11.jpg

It looks like '1' and an '08' with an 'AW' in the banner.

Ive seen 3 rod brake ladies Raleighs. Newer than they look. all post war. That being said, i know they used rod brakes on earlier bikes too, good luck! hope its pre war, give me some hope on my own search!

The mystery thickens. How much older were the 3 rod brake bikes you saw?

Latest posts

Back