A Tribute for Dad is delivered to a happy guy!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: A Tribute for Dad, first mock up

udallcustombikes said:
But he put me in touch with a guy in his 80s that has been collecting and restoring bikes for 40+ years. He said he had some and hewas fixing to get a hold of me! He is looking to liquidate his bike stuff, 3 or 4 storage units full! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

We are going to get together next week, but that is for a different thread. :wink:

So you'd never dealt with Al before? He always attends the bike fest, art of the bicycle and was at this years swap meet. Great guy.

udallcustombikes said:
I've met him at least once. He was two spots down from me at the swap, just didn't get much time to chat with him. I am just terrible keeping names and faces straight. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I finally went and checked out his stuff a couple years ago after hearing so much about him. I thought I was the only person who had never dealt with Al. Seems everyone knew him. I got to look through 3 of his storage units (one a special double one just for him) plus I hear he has buses or trailers full of bike stuff somewhere else.
I hope he's not getting out of bikes all together. He's a local legend.

Been kinda burnt out lately. Real bad like.

But nothing lights you up like an infusion of fresh chrome!
3afbaffb.jpg

2a7b666b.jpg

Yes!! Someone else that works on there bike project in the middle of the night! :shock:

This is really coming together! I had to put my welding helmet on just to look at the chrome! 8)

Looks like you have a great powder coater and chroming shop too!

Keep it up!! She’s Look’n Sweet!

I've been following this thread just to see the look on your Dad's face when he gets this. Great bike, great thread.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the positive comments. I am going to crate the bike and load it on top of our van when we go down to Austin on the 19th for vacation. I just have to get it put together under his nose with out him seeing it before it is assembled! There will be pics and video taken when he gets it and I will post them up. I will be ordering my last few parts from Memory Lane tomorrow. Then I need to get my tires and seat and I can call it done.

Well, the parts are on the way from Memory Lane. Payment has been resent after a snafu with the USPS. The kick stand is the last part getting plated.

Still need to get a hold of Al to get some WF middle weight tires.

So close now.

Re: A Tribute for Dad-Final pieces in sight

Well, the parts from memory Lane should be here in a day or two. The seat should follow shortly. And tomorrow I am meeting with Al to get my tires, a NOS WF bell, and who can say what else I will come home with. Should have it ready for the Midwest Historical and Genealogical Society's Julyapalooza show this weekend. Pics will go up as they arrive!

I just saw this for the first time. What an awesome project idea, and perfectly executed! Can't wait to see it finished. :mrgreen: We need some pictures of the "reunion".

I met up with Al a few weeks ago. He had a Schwinn S-5 front wheel in mint condition for my 64 racer deluxe. Sold it to me at a very reasonable price of $30. A steal considering he had taken the time to overhaul the hub, polish the rim and even put on a new spoke liner before he called me over. He took me over and showed me his storage spaces and there was stuff in there I still wish I could buy. I had to leave before I gave him all of my money.

Hooray for parts! Got my box of goodies from Memory Lane today and now I am just waiting for the seat and one more small detail piece. Unfortunately It won't be here before Saturday's show. Any of my local ratters have a red and/or white seat I could borrow for the day?

I am going to show it off Saturday since it will be my only opportunity before it goes on permanent display in dad's living room. After Saturday I am going to crate it up for the trip to Austin.

A few thanks are in order-
Julesjunk for the frame that got me started on this project.
jezusjonz for the excellent head badge
ratfink1962 for the star chain ring
65rat for the wheels
rivercitycyclist for the plating work
weekend-fun for the seat (once it gets here)

and a few non-members
BCA Welding for the powder coating. If you are in the Wichita area I highly recommend that you go see Brent.
Al for the tires
Memory Lane Classics for the grips, the decal, and the light
Nora for doing my recon and getting necessary info from dad.

And my wife for not complaining over the past six weeks about this bike being kept in the dining room when I wasn't working on it and the living room when I was.

But most of all I want to thank my dad for being there for me when I needed him, teaching me what I needed to learn, listening when I needed to talk, talking when I needed to listen, and for being one of the greatest men I have ever known. I was truly blessed to have you as my father. I could have never wished for more.
Here are a couple of pics after my work on it tonight. I will get some better ones tomorrow in the sunlight.
2b53167a.jpg

Repop Grips
d83d1f7a.jpg

Fender Light
005f0997.jpg

WF decal
112c82e4.jpg

And a shot of the tires
c4ca786d.jpg

Latest posts

Back