a variation on the Low Buck Fixie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I must say that Multipass has done a great job with his "low buck fixie" bike. It has a fine "minimalist" look to it..... and is probably a GREAT Rider. This last month, I built my own variation on the "Fixie" theme that is similar but different than his.

Like Multipass, I started with an old diamond frame bike. In my case it was a TREK with Reynolds 531 tubing.... a true Diamond in the rough. Just like him, I stripped it down and repainted the frame, removed one of the front chainrings, and so forth.

Where mine differs is in the rear wheel..... Instead of using a Track Gear, I built a new rear wheel using an old Bendix COASTER BRAKE hub, and a new rim. I rebuilt and cleaned up the hub.... and then spent a few hours lacing it up.

Now.... there are those who will say that a Coaster Brake Bike is not the same as a "True" Fixed Gear. I won't argue the point.... they ARE different. BUT, I think there are some advantages to using a Coaster Brake Wheel instead of a 'True" fixed gear:

1. The hubs are VERY long lived, and require very little upkeep. PLUS they are low friction. (contrary to popular belief) Higher quality CB hub bearings are very hard, and very round..... so a clean hub will roll, and roll, and roll for a looooong time. (Like ALL hubs though, if they are cruddy they don't roll well at all)

2. They have BRAKES built right into them. This allows for an even MORE minimalist appearance..... you don't have brake levers, cables, or mechanisms to detract from the clean lines of the bike. You also never have to worry about adjusting cables, or replacing shoes.... or wet rims reducing your braking capacity.

3. Old Coaster Hubs are easy to come by. Since they are looked down upon by many cyclists, Coaster Brake wheels are often discarded if a wheel gets bent instead of being re-laced with a new rim.

4. The GEAR RATIO with such a Fixie is still able to be changed by changing the Front Chainring. All you have to do is decide what gearing you need, put on the front chainring that matches that, and then shorten the chain. It takes longer to describe than it does to actually DO. (Since this bike is only ridden on flat ground, I opted for a 52 tooth front ring.)

So there you have it.... a variation on Multipass's Low Cost Fixie. It's the ultimate in Minimalism... and a LOT of fun to ride!

NOTE: Multipass is absolutely correct about need HORIZONTAL drop-outs. Vertical ones don't allow you to adjust your chain tension. If you build your own, make sure you check this.

Latest posts

Back