Am I a hipster now?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I swore for years I'd never own a fixed gear or "Fixie" bike but here I am. I got my first one today. Does this make me a hipster now?

1890's Mead Sentinel with wood rims and block chain. The exception to my no fixie rule.
IMG_20230624_123234506.jpg

Check around you might be able to find a coaster brake from that era if they were invented yet. You may have to practice the locked rear wheel that fixters use to stop their bikes if you don't already know how to do that. Very cool ooooold timer you have there. 120-130 years old. Bicycles never go out of style.

Yes

Stock up on beard oil, flannel, craft beer, skinny jeans, and buy a coffee press
Oh my god I'm a hipster I drink craft beer own a coffee press skinny jeans except for the beard I would have to change my name to patchy. I have a fixie to 😂

Fun facts:
Post 9/11 college educated kids who moved to New York and other large cities for work were quite the force to be reckoned with. If you remember this was the time that giant “Flash Mobs” were created. These pranks were initiated by creatives but quickly grew through the internet to include anyone with a device. Now imagine what the hippies could have accomplished in the 70s with global interconnectivity.

Like the hippies before them this loosely affiliated movement (which was by modern definition a splinter group) of do-gooders were denounced in big media by painting all of them as unwashed drug addicts, poking fun at their destitute but inventive fashion and off-brand listening. It is important to note that in both instances criticism of these subcultures rose from giant conglomerates. Both while the largest anti-war protests we’d ever seen were happening in America and around the world. Both eras saw a rise in College educated kids questioning their government’s motives and military actions overseas. The enormous difference between hippies and hipsters was the latter’s ability to not only form masses on cue but to successfully act out orchestrated tasks. Each act spawned another, larger and more lavish “happening”. These movements were dangerous to big war during times of protest so the same corporations that (still) make bombs and network news shat on the hipsters in the exact same way they did the hippies. Through their elite publishing houses and television networks.

As your post implies they were successful in their effort to label and demean people who question war as directionless fashion victims. So if you’ve broken that wall and accepted your inner hipster, CONGRATS! ride proud! You’ll have to get some skinny wheels if you wanna keep up though. Otherwise you’re just a bike messenger and thats a whole other realm of unshowered.

That bike IS amazing!

I guess I could be a hipster. I thought I was just a conspiracy theorist, Saab enthusiast, and vintage bike nut. I have a goatee, flannel, and love coffee although I don't have a press (Starbucks) oh God that definitely makes me a hipster. Skinny jeans ain't happening though.

I sprayed it down with some Seafoam Deep Creep (pb blaster on steroids) and that will hopefully loosen everything up. The rims are going to be beautiful. Where can I find tires for these? If my measurements are correct they are 25 inch???
IMG_20230624_215444065.jpg

Too cool. What’s your plan for it?
Don't know yet I'm going to clean it up and see how it looks first. Was originally thinking of using the wheels and other parts on my Columbia Arch-bar but thinking this Mead is too original to monkey around with.
Screenshot_20230402-033802~2.png

have to grow a goatee.
Just so we are clear because most of the world is not. A goatee refers to hair on your chin and no where else. I believe you are referring to a "Van Dyke" which is a mustache with chin hair and nothing on your cheeks. The 2 are often mistaken and the term goatee usually used incorrectly.

Just so we are clear because most of the world is not. A goatee refers to hair on your chin and no where else. I believe you are referring to a "Van Dyke" which is a mustache with chin hair and nothing on your cheeks. The 2 are often mistaken and the term goatee usually used incorrectly.
beard_style.jpg

I've had so many on this list!

Latest posts

Back