American Woman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Here's a little teasing, This is what I am starting with a '58 Schwinn American found in the bottom of a scrap bin at the local yard. Rusty, Crusty, and clinging to life.

PA270188.jpg

I think the angle of the picture and the mangled rear wheel are throwing my eye off. Is the frame straight?

yoothgeye said:
I think the angle of the picture and the mangled rear wheel are throwing my eye off. Is the frame straight?
Yeah the frame is straight, the back wheel was toasted and it was missing some parts, but I think it's going to be a great build. The paint cleaned up surprisingly well.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
mmmmm.....crusty.
I get the 'American' part, but I'm missing the 'Woman' reference... :?:

Cheers,
Dr. T

American Woman... Get Away... American Woman... Listen What I Say.

Okay the suspense has built enough, :mrgreen: the woman reference is the tank! a Women's Hiawatha tank flipped upside down. Looks great too.
P3280666.jpg

P3280665.jpg

The paint cleaned up incredibly considering the before pics.
P3280668.jpg

I used a bit of this GS27 scratch remover i had leftover from god knows what.
P3210634.jpg

P3210633.jpg

And a little sneak peek of things to come, The crank might get swapped out but I am undecided.
P3280667.jpg

herr_rudolf said:
It must be very cool to have the parts somewhere in your collection so you can try out stuff and combinations... The flipped tank is a refresheng take on 'something flipped' on a bike :wink:

Good luck and have fun!

Actually I don't have that big of a collection of parts, I actually bought the tank from a member here without even owning the bike it goes on. I figured I could Macgyver something to work, I had no idea it would fit so well. I'm still looking for wheels for it, I have a ton of 26" mountain bike wheels but there is no place to mount a brake to on this frame.

Latest posts

Back