An Original Rat rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dads003.jpg

Dads002.jpg

Dads001.jpg

This is my Dads old bike that was put together in WWII. My Dad died about 2 years ago and I am trying to figure out what to do with it. Anyone have any ideas on what to soak it in to loosen everything up? I tried about 5 years ago and wd 40 or liquid wrench would not touch it. Also does anybody have an idea what the tank is?

I would bring it under some shelter and hit it with PB Blaster for a solid week and keep a torch and some water nearby when you try to loosen things with a breaker bar. Be prepared to replace at least all the hardware. I hope you get to bring it back to life!

Pretty rusty but I see a lot of potential there. Looks to be about a '38. Wrong fork/crank/rack but at least you have the hardest part to find.

if you ever want to sell it id buy it, as for loosening the parts up soak it with pb blaster. and if you can could you move it out of the rain plz :) sorry OCD thing :mrgreen:

Nick

I wonder if you could have it acid diped. Ya know they do that to cars to remove all the rust right down to the bare metal. Its what your going to do anyway, dip it and of couse replace the hardware you would have to do anyway.

Try soaking it in vinegar that'll take the rust off for sure then you should be able too get her loosened up a bit

Nice bike the tank is a hanging tank correct for the bike. Looks like an Autocycle to me.

My guess is the BMX is a Rampar judging by the R in the gusset. Matt

Good eye! What is that loop tail bmx? bmx gold bby,lol does it say hutch?

charliechaindrive said:
Save the chrome bmx! Cool autocycle, if vinegar doesn't work, try clr but that stuff has nasty fumes
watch using CLR I soaked some parts in it for a couple days and all it did was turn it black and I swear the police could use the parts for finger printing, moved the parts off my bench earlier and still had black stuff coming off them

Oh, I've never had that happen before. Usualy I just have a rag soaked in it and wipe the parts down/ drape the rag over the part, and it usualy does the trick.

I managed to get it a part. The fork was toast. Due to cost to redo it I will be posting it in the for sale or trade section. Thanks for all the help & hints.

Back