Another bike addict from Germany

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi lads I ´m new here. My name is Mark and I ´m from Germany. Everything started as found a shop in Hamburg selling Felt Cruisers. Must have was my first thought. I spent a lot of time and money in restoring, tuning and customizing old Vespa Scooters. Now that my latest scooter project is nearly finished I have again some space on my workbench and I guess it is now the time to care about this rat rod bike virus...

I finished a small bike project for my cutie before, nothing special, just a few new parts and a powder coating.

K800_DSC06073.jpg

Next year my 8 year old son will need a new bike. So how would it be for him to have a one off build kuztom kruizer?
I am currently thinking of converting a second hand MTB frame or setting up an own frame. A final decision has not been made however I´ve just bought a 16 ton hydraulic tube bender at ebay… :D
This is a sketch of it which I have drawn during a boring meeting at work:
K800_DSC06534.jpg

Cycling season in Germany is nearly over and my own bike will be customized as well. This how it looks like at the moment:
K800_DSC06071.jpg

My plan is to fit some self made brake handles, new paint job (flat grey) and do some alterations to the frame. I did some CNC milling for my scooter projects, so fabricating the handles is the smallest problem.
K800_DSC04286.jpg

So many ideas, so little time.

Something else:
I need a name for this scooter. It´s painted with a special rust paint. Something like "Rusty Nail" Any ideas?
K800_DSC06294.jpg

Wheelcome from Germany to Germany :? !

regards, Paul

P.S.: nice avatar :lol: !

Guten Tag Marek und Willkommen!

From Connecticut, USA to you. It will be very nice to see your projects. You already have the cycling "bug", it seems.

The season here is also coming to an end. Tonight it is only 35°F ... about 2°C... a little chilly even inside at work where there is lots of steam and hot electric motors. Usually it is not so cold at this time of year, but I do not think I will be riding much at work tonight or tomorrow during the day. I use a Worksman Industrial Bike at work- the same company that makes some of the rental bikes in airports in Germany. (My wife took pictures of some when she flew to Hamburg in May.)

--Rob Bareiss

The scooter....Is that a P series Vespa or a Bajaj Chetak? It looks Vespa, I used to have a P200, but I know you folks in Europe have a P125.

I've seen plenty of rusty Vespas, but never a Vespa painted to LOOK rusty! At least nobody will accuse you of having a Viet-Bodge. How about, since you're German, "Teutonic Tetanus" for a name?

ChadB said:
"Teutonic Tetanus"
GREAT! :mrgreen:

It is a P 200, at the with a standard engine. But I already started to think about how it would be if this Teutonic Tetanus should become a terrorist. I have two other vespas with mean engines. One is not finished but the other one develops 38HP at the crankshaft which is some 34 at the rear wheel and good enough to chase some of those modern plastic bikes.

The bike project for my son is developing. I bougt some used frames and set up the first drawing for the upper and lower fork support. I am about to built a motor bike type fork.

By the way: Thanks folks for the warm welcome.

Arschbrand said:
ChadB said:
"Teutonic Tetanus"
GREAT! :mrgreen:

It is a P 200, at the with a standard engine. But I already started to think about how it would be if this Teutonic Tetanus should become a terrorist. I have two other vespas with mean engines. One is not finished but the other one develops 38HP at the crankshaft which is some 34 at the rear wheel and good enough to chase some of those modern plastic bikes.

The bike project for my son is developing. I bougt some used frames and set up the first drawing for the upper and lower fork support. I am about to built a motor bike type fork.

By the way: Thanks folks for the warm welcome.

34 hp at the wheel, that's really something! You should be able to really get out there and let it rip..I know my modern GTS 250 only made about 26 or so hp, and even at that, and my hardly slight 6'2 self on the thing, it would still do a good 80 mph. 34 hp in a lighter scoot should really move..I hope you have the jetting in the carb and the pipe worked out right so you don't have problems with the little 2 stroke siezing; I know alot of the hopped up Vespas and Lambrettas have that problem.

She´s doing fine. I still have some probs with the engine at higher revs in the 4th gear. There´s a phenomenon for which I do not know the english expression: When the gas temperature in the barrel becomes to high the gas mixture spontaneously combusts causing damage to the piston. A possible solution could be a dynamic ignitition, another one lowering the compression ratio which will lower the output of engine. A third option is water cooling. However she´s running like heck. I never found out the top speed because I do not have the guts to go full throttle on 10 inch wheels. Around 135km/h (which is roughly 85) I have the certain feeling that this is enough.

Some where on my HD I have a pic of the diagramm from the last dyno run. If you´re interested I can post it

Pre-detonation, in slang terms, "knock". I had an old MZ with that problem, and I could never completely eliminate it. I always suspected it wanted leaded fuel or something. A friend of mine had an old Vespa in the '70's, had more power than the little wheels could handle. Scared me silly when I twisted it in 2nd.

To explain the slang term even more, spark knock. Usually an engine will do that if it requires a higher octane fuel, or because there are deposits on the piston or inside the combustion chamber that are causing the pre-ignition to take place. A 2 stroke can easily have such deposits, though I'm betting using a higher octane fuel, or an octane booster, might help.

High compression engines, either naturally aspirated or force-inducted (supercharged or turbocharged) NEED more octane. Generally, anything running more than about 9.5 to 1 compression needs at least 91 octane fuel. I used to have a '69 Dodge SuperBee w/ a 440, 10 to 1 compression, and she'd knock like a woodpecker if I ran anything less than 93 or 94 octane (It had aftermarket heads so it was ok with modern unleaded fuel). A 200 cc 2 stroke Vespa making 38 hp at the crank is a pretty hot little engine.

DUH, I just remembered the octane ratings are different in Europe than in the U.S. Just run the best stuff you can get...Our 94 octane fuel is the same as your higher rated stuff.

ChadB said:
To explain the slang term even more, spark knock. ........ though I'm betting using a higher octane fuel, or an octane booster, might help.

High compression engines, either naturally aspirated or force-inducted (supercharged or turbocharged) NEED more octane. Generally, anything running more than about 9.5 to 1 compression needs at least 91 octane fuel. I used to have a '69 Dodge SuperBee w/ a 440, 10 to 1 compression, and she'd knock like a woodpecker if I ran anything less than 93 or 94 octane (It had aftermarket heads so it was ok with modern unleaded fuel). A 200 cc 2 stroke Vespa making 38 hp at the crank is a pretty hot little engine.

DUH, I just remembered the octane ratings are different in Europe than in the U.S. Just run the best stuff you can get...Our 94 octane fuel is the same as your higher rated stuff.

Well we have now 100 octane fuel avaialble at the gas stations. I tried it but it did not help. the compression ratio is now at 10.5:1. I suspect that the air cooling is not sufficent because this knocking only appears after approx. 3 minutes of high speed running on the "autobahn" :wink: The resonance charging effect of the pipe brings more warm gas to the barrel. I guess this is the major problem.

Latest posts

Back