Another cleaning chrome ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What products have you found to work best at cleaning/restoring lightly rusted chrome? Also what method of removal?

Someone said...No. 7 Rubbing compoung, SOS pads, and/or some Michiana Metal Polish?

any others???

If it's lightly rusted I would not use any abrasive pads at all. Get some chrome cleaner and use a soft cloth. Buff it with a soft clean cloth after you use the cleaner. Gary

I'd say no to SOS pads unless it's real heavy rust. #0000 steel wool with WD-40 or Chrome polish. Or aluminum foil and water but the Windex sounds fun 8)

Rule of thumb on anything is to start with the least abrasive and 'work your way up'. Ive used WD-40 and coarse cloth, worn green 'scotchbrite' pads, with water, etc.; the liquid provides a lube and helps float the crud off that the surface. If that doesnt cut it, or you have some stubborn spots, lube up and use a plastic (old credit cards are good) to brass scraper. The idea is that your scraper needs to be a softer material than the surface you work on to keep from harming it. I also like to use my magnifier to really see what Im doing now on important stuff, but my eyes are 'getting on'.

50x50 water and CLR. Experment and don't leave it on very long. Wash it with clean water after each treatment. Then try "Mothers" Mag wheel polish. I have done this on chrome wheels on Cars and Motorcycles with very good results.

Sorcerer

I agree on the oxalic acid. I buy a small tub from Ace Hardware for 6 dollars, and it makes a gallon. Amazing results. Problem now is I need about 12 gallons to soak frames and wheels in a Rubbermaid container.. I even soaked an old chain, and it came out new looking, though it still needs soaked in PB Blaster to loosen it up

I tried some turtle wax chrome polish/rust remover with some very fine 3m steel wool and :shock: It worked wonders! The chrome looks brand new... 8)

Old School way is to use brass wool. It is abrasive enough to remove the rust but soft enough not to scratch the chrome. That is what we used on chrome bumper cars when I was a kid. Use a good chrome polish after.

As a dermatitis sufferer who used to work with diesel I would like like to advise that it has lots of junk, some carcinogens, in it you really dont want on you. I can use the readily, and cheaply available (from your local hardware store or building center paint dept.) odorless mineral spirits, which will do the same job. It isnt entirely odorless, but compared to what it used to be, and especially diesel, it is really not bad.

I just cleaned a chromed steel rim the other night the same way I "restored" my chrome-framed FleetWing.....0000 steel wool and WD-40. Works great and leaves a thin film for temporary protection.

If the rust is really light, there's a product called "Chromax" that my LBS swears by.....biodegradeable and smells like SweeTarts! "Bout $10 a jar!

Back