another rim painting question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's plenty of information about painting rims, either assembled or disassemble.

My question is to those who have done both. Which way do you prefer painting rims? What are the pros and cons of either method have?

I painted a set a rims with the spokes using the drinking straw method, and it worked pretty good. I have another set I want to paint, and I'm thinking about taking the wheel apart. I can rebuild the wheels so that isn't a factor in my decision.

just me, but if im trying to save a rusty wheel and make it look nice, i break it down mainly to clean it real good. and usually the spokes are shot and the hub will need a thorough going over so you kill 3 birds with one stone.

if the wheel is in decent shape and doesnt need much work, id paint it laced up.

I always disassemble my wheels for painting.Its easier to clean,sand and paint just the bare hoops.

Because I am lazy, I paint the wheels assembled. I am careful to tape each spoke. With that being said, I use 36 spoke wheels. With that being said, I've found that spray on bedliner in a can is FREAKING AWESOME!!! With that being said, the only other paint I really use is high temp engine enamel with ceramic. It is tough and can be found at any auto parts store.

Back