Another Schwinn foe Phantom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
finally picked up a '55 frame to go along with the Phantom tanks , still gathering parts but the build is now in the works.
the tanks
100_7626.jpg

the frame
100_0174.jpg

in case some of you are not aware , there is a differance in the deluxe frame versus a standard frame
its this tab in the head tube
100_0178.jpg

working on wheels, for now I will use these heavy spoked bomb proof beasts with the $4.00 Kenda flames
100_0173.jpg

this is going to be low budget for now as the Phantom parts are a little spendy :roll:
more later

had a little time to start piecing this together but first I sprayed some red on the front and started shaping and ageing the scallops...
still more work needed but here it is so far ,rusty A.S. springer ( workin on a locking fork this will work for now) tank held on with one screw
will probably use this crank for now...like I said this build will be on the cheap

100_0187.jpg

partial build
100_0184.jpg

more later

that no money deal was suppose to be an original Phantom frame and forks to go along with the tanks but when I dug through the pile,
their was no Phantom frame ??? hmmm...it was still a good deal since he did have a 55 frame and the crusty springer and all I did to get
the frame , forks and tank was overhaul a carburator....only a couple hrs work.
So far I am into this bike about 75 bucks for the tires , tubes , rim strips and the gaurd the rest is just laying around waiting for the right project.

I want to make a JCH jet-flo three wheeler with a coolr in the back- the lid will have an upholstered bench seat if I ever do it... :lol:

I like the three wheel version, thoguh i think a smaller wheel up front may be beneficial.

I was thinkin' a larger wheel and tire in the rear like a 24x3 if I can dig up a pair of 24" 28 spoke rims ...
still not sure if it will stay a 3 wheeler but if it does I would make it a wood and metal bed / box for cargo.

I thought I would try some free hand lettering ??? I am no artist with a paint brush thats for sure but since its a rat ...
I used a black sharpie then painted over it with some model paint and a dagger brush, need to clean up the edges a bit.
100_0702.jpg

still need to age the paint a little more , always trying to make paint look new not old....any tips ?

Grade 0000 steel wool works nicely to make paint look old. :wink: A good consistent rub down with that made a painted tank of mine look like it has seen some time.

Back