Any info on this bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am a newbie here, but definitely charged up after stumbling onto the site here last week! Anyway, I am motivated to dig into a project this winter, and here are the starting blocks:
IMG_0201.jpg

It is already a rat rod of sorts.... we bought it a couple summers ago at a garage sale, and it was flat black. Pretty nice for $16. My wife wanted her favorite color, so I broke it down (though not all the way) and lightly sanded, primed and purpled it out... new grips as well, and the fenders got some gerber daisy stickers and a coat of sparkly clear coat. She named it the sassy princess.....

anyway, I bought her a new cruiser last Christmas, so this has been hanging in the garage since.

I thought I'd remove the top down tube and move it up to make a "mens" bike....

Thoughts on a straight reposition of the bar?

Or I might get some round stock, put a bit of a curve into it and make that the top bar....

Either way, it is getting stripped down to bar metal, repainted something more rat like (most likely either flat black, brown primer or olive drab....)

But, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the frame?

Looks to me like the parts are already mix and match... :D

Thanks.

Mike

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum.

Looks like you have an 80s model Huffy or Murray.

Should be a good base for a rat project. :D

I'm a sucker for the tubular forks and the BMX stem.

Heck yeah on the BMX front gear...

When we took it to the Oregon coast we had to get the coaster brake fixed (I didn't have any of my tools besides a leatherman) and the guy at the bike shop thought it was a mountain bike... I wasn't so sure on that.

I was thinking murray or huffy too.

Cut the top tube out and use that tube as your Man's tube, twist, turn, trim it till it looks right to you
mmbackpacker said:
Hello,
I am a newbie here, but definitely charged up after stumbling onto the site here last week! Anyway, I am motivated to dig into a project this winter, and here are the starting blocks:
IMG_0201.jpg

It is already a rat rod of sorts.... we bought it a couple summers ago at a garage sale, and it was flat black. Pretty nice for $16. My wife wanted her favorite color, so I broke it down (though not all the way) and lightly sanded, primed and purpled it out... new grips as well, and the fenders got some gerber daisy stickers and a coat of sparkly clear coat. She named it the sassy princess.....

anyway, I bought her a new cruiser last Christmas, so this has been hanging in the garage since.

I thought I'd remove the top down tube and move it up to make a "mens" bike....

Thoughts on a straight reposition of the bar?

Or I might get some round stock, put a bit of a curve into it and make that the top bar....

Either way, it is getting stripped down to bar metal, repainted something more rat like (most likely either flat black, brown primer or olive drab....)

But, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the frame?

Looks to me like the parts are already mix and match... :D

Thanks.

Mike

How about something like this....
ratrodidea.jpg

Forgive the lame-oh windows paint hack job.... and the purple paint. But the idea is there. Essentially remove the upper down tube, flip it, weld it as a men's bar and add a little swoop.

Here are a couple of my current motivators:
003-3.jpg

Bike.jpg

And of course the ubiquitous flat balck or brown priner rat rod with the white walls and red rims look....

Hmm.... wish I could translate the ideas in my head to paper a bit better.

Now I just need to get the bike apart, strip it down and get down to business!

Mike

Back