Any Rat Bike shops in Louisville, Kentucky??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got some "normal" shops but I can't find any shops with the "good stuff". Anyone in the area know where I can go?

none that i know of truthfully. maybe dixie schwinn on rockford ln. i know they have some older looking stingray stuff from looking in the windows, but their hours are so inconvenient for me that i've only been in there once, and only for a few minutes that time, and that's been a while back.

or maybe the bike shop over in jeffersonville or clarksville (i think. can't think of the name). really i'm just thinking of the two oldest local shops i know of. just figuring they've got some fun old stuff in a backroom somewhere.

I found a little shop in the highlands named Bardstown Rd. Bicycle Co. They had some great old stuff down in the basement but the owner wasn't there so I didn't get a crack at any of it. :cry:

Is the old Louisville Cycle & Supply Co. still in business? This shop was owned by the Lipski family for many years and sold Schwinns with their Speedway and American Flyer badges before WW2. I have 2 prewar Speedway badged Schwinns and they are a couple of my favorite bikes. Gary
DSC03361.jpg

It's been my experience that just about every bike shop has the older treasures for which you seek. The hardest part is getting to know the owners well enough to be let into their backrooms, cellars, warehouses or their little blackbook of friends. Sometimes the shops that you deem least likely will have the best stuff! Or atleast know who does! Kissing their butts isn't always the best way into their stashes, being knowledgable about the bike or part you are seeking is. Don't appear egotistical, just seem to be knowleable! Also have a good idea of what the going price is before you negotiate. Too much or too little of an offer can make you look like a joke.
Good luck!

never heard of louisville cycle. either it's not around and/or it was in a part of town i wasn't in much.

i wasn't thinking any of the highlands stores would have much. they're all relatively new, i think. plus all i've ever seen in them are the regular road and mtn bikes. the place to go in the highlands used to be highland cycle. maybe one of them got some of their old stock. you'd think if you're going to find it, it would be the highlands, but maybe louisville's just behind on this.

but i just thought of maybe another thing to try. i've only met one other person with a rat-ish cruiser type bike, a trike actually. he works in the highlands at that hardware store i think around grinsted av. i only talked to him for a bit, but him being in the highlands he should know what there is to find.

ok one more, 'cause things are coming to me as i write. on a sunday morning, try the 7th street flea markets. there are two bettween taylor and algonquin parkway. part of why i'm not up on bike shops is i pick up most stuff here (or a few other flea markets, thrift stores and ebay), and go to bike shops for bit and piece stuff.

Back