ANYONE EVER USE AN ARAI DRUM BRAKE?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Curious if anyone here has built a wheel using the new ARAI drum brakes that are being sold on Ebay.

In particular I'm wanting info on the quality and the stopping power of these brakes.

I might consider buying a front and rear drum if the stopping power is decent.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rear-Bicycle-Drum-B ... 0325692618

f081_1.JPG

Contact First Flight Bicycles, they sell those hubs on ebay sometimes. Maybe pick up a pair of those Timbuk II tires for your klunker build. 8)

Steve,
I have a couple of these on the front of two bikes. The stopping power is not quite as good as a normal old Bendix or New Departure coaster brake. I had a bike with a newer coaster brake of some far eastern persuasion that was roughly the same as these. They do stop you, but I rely on both ends for best reslts. I love them in group rides as they will slow you pretty quickly (and avoid those nasty collision situations!).

I don't rely solely on the front brake, but do use it a lot, and am OK with them. I have not had one on the rear, but would not think they would be any more powerful than the front.... maybe not something to skid the rear tire with?

Front = passable
Rear = prbably passable, but likely to be fine unless you're riding extremes!

Further note: I have one on the Red-X, and on the Black Effect Straightbar presently, and have another one sitting here. I've had no problems with either of them. The next one may be going on Tandemonium II.

My $.02, your mileage may vary.
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

for stopping power I would go with disc but those drum hubs just look really cool on any bike and they do work better than rim brakes
for the most part. Beem thinkin' about robbing the rear drum hub from my tandem for use on my next klunker build.

I will second Recs post. I have a Sturmey front brake and they work OK. I think that the mechanical advantage that you get from your body weight on a crank arm makes a coaster brake pretty powerful compared to the force you can apply with your grip.
Definatel cool looking and the Arai units are pretty well made

I have one on my Mongoose cruiser. Braking power is moderate. However, it is very smooth and looks great.
I have a Shimano roller brake one the rear. The Shimano is a strong brake, but doesn't look as cool.
The Arai is a good brake for the money.

Back