Anyone Know What this trike rear end is?I need Help...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know what year and make of this rearend and how I can change the broken bearing in the axel cup on the outside left in between the wheel and frame. It has a bendix brake setup. if tha helps...

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

looks simmilar to the trike kits on the schwinn town and country.

It does look like the one in my Schwinn town and country but the center section is twice as wide, so I think it has a differential that drives the left or right side. You can tell that by picking up one side and pedel and then pick up the other and pedel it should spin either wheel . My Schwinn only drives the left side. There is a Mfg. Name and P/N on the bearing, you have to pull the wheel and axel out to see it and then order it from a bearing distributer .

I have the same setup , the axle is held in by roll pins and the bearings just press in to the tubes so two ways to change the bearings
first remove the inside roll pins at the diff slide the axle out of the housing...I removed both axles and the diff and used a long drift to
drive out the bearings but you could use an slide hammer and pilot bearing tool to just remove an outer bearing. I paid a bundle for the
new bearings at a bearing suplier....ouch...a hammer and pipe to press them back in ...being carefull they go in straight as the housing
is weak and easy to distort and dont pound on the inner bearing race or your new bearing is toast.
another note...the diff was dry and binding on mine and no good way to lube it but I got gear oil in through the axle opening slow but worked
I don't know how to Identify the year it was made but they were the same through the mid 60s - 70s

Thanks everyone who has given me info Im going to try taking it all down today because this project s parked due to these bearings..Updates when I do more to her...

Yes I broke it down today it is posi-trac with a differential I cleaned up the hub and cleaning the housing I've removed the pins but axels will not slide out. But if the left wheel is iifted it will rotate as the other stands and vice versa. The hub reads Bendix 70
015.jpg

014.jpg

013-1.jpg

Back