aw man, not another spray paint question!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody know how well valspar spray paint is for what we do? my local hardware carries it, only a mile away vs. 20 mile to wallyworld for rustoleum. the dollar store i got my paint from for my van halen mtb worked great, but they only carry red,white, black &clear. i tried krylon 20 some years ago and hated the stuff. went on like water and ran like crazy no matter how light i tried to spray it. i see lots of you fellas using it today, has it improved?

I like Rustoleum best! adheres great to frames. Never had a problem.

Im a Rustoleum man myself.

I've used Krylon in the past with good results...but the ONLY reason that I dont like it.

I dont like the smell of it.

My lungs gotta be rainbow colored by now from all the spray bombs I've blown off in the basement for the past 40 years.

ive used valspar...lowes carries it here.....works fine.
its not the best but its ok

I tried Valspar semi-gloss black from Lowe's. Scuffed the twenty year-old paint and sprayed the Valspar in light coats. Went on nice and looked good, but after a week, it still seams a little soft.

I used Krylon satin Italian Olive over Rust-Oleum "Self etching primer" and Rust-Oleum "Filler primer" and I LOVE IT!!!! These primers sand easly, dry or wet! Walmart sells Valspar in their paint dept., but to get the Rust-Oleum "Self etching primer" and Rust-Oleum "Filler primer", you will need to visit Walmart's auto dept. or you might check Lowe's.

I've used it. Went to LOWES yesterday to buy some more Cherry red. I have 1 and a 1/2 cans and wanted some more. They changed the color name, I think it's called classic red now, but the part # was the same, so I bought 2 more cans. It's not the same color, the new stuff is more pink. They had one can of the old color left, but I didn't buy it, it had red paint all over it. I went back today and bought it, It was still full. I told one of the guys working there about the color being different. He said the paint is made in Finland. This bike is painted with the Cherry red, straight from the can, no polishing at all.
100_0595.jpg

100_0590.jpg

Always used Rustoleum, 5 years later, my 53 Schwinn is just as bright red as when I painted it, so touch ups match perfectly.

In the finished build off section, the Pack Rat is painted with valspar, and it looks great.

Back