back with a new build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been a wile since i had a build on here. finished the beater schwinn and the hawthorne. and the cruiser for my kid, now it's time for a fun project. just got this columbia goodyear highway patrol bike. first thought was to make a sweet rat, red rims white walls and leave it rusty, but at one point i had a garage full of rat bikes. after i did my hawthorne and the beater schwinn i'm getting in to the o.g. look and feel. the rust isn't as bad as it looks. the beater schwinn i built for my wife will be the doner bike for this project. she does not like the girls frames, and when i found this bike i knew this was her new bike. plus it gives me something to play with for a wile. i'm going to wire wheel it down to bare metal and prime and paint it white and yellow. it will have the springer front end and chrome fenders and other chrome odds and ends. here is a pic of the the new project and the doner bike. let me know what you think.
goodyear2.jpg

goodyear1.jpg

schwinn5-2.jpg

Nice bike, but I wouldn't touch it with that original paint still showing through the rust. I was faced with the same problem with my Firestone Pilot, and I just could sand it. I had planned to do what you did, but I'm glad I didn't. I'd put some red rims on it and leave it if it were mine. JMO. It will look great either way, but that rusty look can't faked to actually look like your bike and mine do.

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture003.jpg

so i stripped alot of the rust away. i know what your all thinking should have left it alone. it was ride able when i got it. but the rust kept rubbing off on my clothes and hands. ya it looked cool but to much of a mess for me. besides bringing it back to life is a joy and here and there a pain. so much sanding. but when i'm done it will be around another 60 years. hopefully.

Back