Basket Case

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in, I need a bike with a basket. Something I can leave out, and not have any money in. So I get this crappy mountain bike and it's just about everything I hate about these bikes.It's a chrome plated turd.

bskt001.jpg

But a chrome frame needs no paint, so it's perfect for my base. Stripped are the junk off of it an put some reasonable single speed gearing on it.
I wanted to try the rear whitewall thing and I kinda' like the look. Seen it on some motorcycles this week at Ohio Bike Week and they looked cool too.
Basket and sprocket is from Revs. Other stuff was just laying around and I got English sized wheels all over.

bskt002.jpg

Here's why I put on a rack.

bskt003.jpg

At least it's a little Ratty! :D

snfargle said:
are the forks bent or is it my eyes playing up

Nope, good eye!
If I ever get access to a press or build my "bending anchor" idea I've been toying around with I'll straighten it.
It does make the handling suck so I gotta' do something about it. Even if that means putting another fork on it.

I guess the Mythbusters are right....You can polish a turd.... :) .....Haha but really you took a lame boring MTB and made it into a RAD daily rider.........Awesome work and it looks sweet.....

rustyspokes21 said:
I guess the Mythbusters are right....You can polish a turd.... :) .....Haha but really you took a lame boring MTB and made it into a RAD daily rider.........Awesome work and it looks sweet.....
Thanks, funny you should mention those guys.
I've met a couple of them, most of them competed at BatlleBot's. Grant is a pretty cool guy, since he was in my weight class we had a chance to chat it up a few times.

Apparently, this thing had some kind of colored clearcoat on it that had mostly peeled away revealing fresh (somewhat) chrome.

Well, a month's gone by and I've worked on this bike almost as much as the King!
Rear wheel hub blew up on way back from store, so I put on an even rustier one. Front fork was too far gone to straighten, so on to fork #2.
Knees kept hitting the handlebar so I found a wider pair, coke bottle grips are from a Schwinn exercycle.
The UAV wouln't get rebuilt until next year and may never have the rear basket again so it goes on the basket bike.

It has certainly lived up to the name.

bc01.jpg

Back