Bend seat post

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about putting a slight bend (30-45 degrees) in the seat post for this project. If I find someone to do it for me, will I diminish the strength? I weigh 215lbs and would hate to have it snap! What if once i get the wheels on I want to have it bent like 90 degrees?

IMG_0764.jpg

Find a thick pipe or solid stock that fits the tube and bend it. This one is about 4 to 5 times the thickness of a standard seat post. Someone pounded it inside for ever. Took a cut off tool to it, cut several notches and re welded...

S5003263.jpg

I didn't know what angle I wanted either so I made a prototype first. I got a 5/8" steel rod from the hardware store, bent it, then welded it into a regular 9" Schwinn seat post turned upside down. I did a little more bending and cutting and got the angle I wanted.
DSC04256.jpg

I then ordered a 3' piece of 13/16" stainless bar from ebay and cut it in half. A machinist friend turned the end to 5/8" like a standard Schwinn post and a welder friend torched and bent the post to match the prototype. The new post is gorilla proof. :wink: Gary
DSC04417.jpg

Back