best product/tech for removing paint (leaving the original)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just picked up this little speedster ($50)
2gy4ye1.jpg

i believe it to be around 1964 (left drop out b451066)
for the most part its in pretty nice shape.
2ho8u13.jpg

14dzui0.jpg

from bernie's bicycle shop trenton n.j.
the mattatuck coaster break is a new one to me. any info? (thx)
6yoa9t.jpg

i thought it was a 24" bike, but it turns out they are indeed 20"x1 3/8 schwinn tubular rims
which are considerably larger than a standard 20" rim.
33li2xh.jpg

sting ray fastback tires and schwinn grips, this thing appears to be all original.
heres the problem, somebodies spot painted the bike, and completely painted the fenders.
2gxej4i.jpg

i used a little gas to remove some of the paint on the forks (they painted right over the decals)
ip9on9.jpg

it looks like they removed the fenders and spot painted the rest.(all the decals are still there.
anybody got some good advice for removing rattle can paint without hurting the original paint?
i know schinn paint is tonka tuff, so i'm hopeful. :)
thx guys.

i purchased this to chop up (mini boardtracker) but i'm thinking i will make a nice resto.

I am in no way an expert on the matter. But you could carefully hit the spots with steel wool, just stop when it gets really, really thin. Then you may need to get a one step compound that has some grit to it. Carefully buff the rest off. It's a lot of elbow grease to do it but I used to do it on boats fixing bad repairs done by the owners. I actually would start with sand paper if needed then go to steel wool. Many times I had to take over-spray off of chrome and that was the same technique. The original clear coat (if there was one) may be protective enough to allow the steel wool to take the paint off. Just don't go crazy because you'll go right through if you're not careful.
Hope this helps.

50 Bucks! Whoever sold you that must be a great guy! :lol: I`d try lacquer thinner. (in an inconspicuous spot first to be sure it won`t instantly take off the factory paint.)

If you think it's spray paint I've had good luck with gasoline and steel wool till it gets thin then a rough rag soaked in gas. takes a while but won't harm the original finish and works great. Just don't smoke while your doing it or it'll turn ratty really quick.

I have used regular brake fluid with success to take off cheap enamel and leave the original paint. Whether or not it will work all depends on how cheap the top coat is. Try it in an inconspicuous place. You may have to let it soak for a while, but use care.

DesignIt said:
I have used regular brake fluid with success to take off cheap enamel and leave the original paint. Whether or not it will work all depends on how cheap the top coat is. Try it in an inconspicuous place. You may have to let it soak for a while, but use care.

Be careful not to get it on anything plastic! I had a leak in the brake hose on my moped near the handle and it ate the head shield and paint !!! :shock:

is that the best ya got? no miricle products? :lol:
i have some paint thinner i'm going to try.
i had given carb cleaner a thought, but it never occured to me to use brake fluid.

looks like i'll be looking for a few inconspicuous places to spot test. lol
i'll keep ya posted on what i learn.

I use GOOF OFF . You find it in with the paint thinners at Home Depot or Lowes. It takes a lot of rag rubbing but works pretty well. Make sure you rubber gloves when using this stuff.
Jeff

thats more like it.lol

from what i can see, it looks like the bike was painted by a kid.

theres tape on the bike that been painted over, and it def. was painted while fully assembled (minus the frenders)
no sanding was done ahead of time, so i can see the texture of the surface below.
theres def. a few bad spots, but i'm more inclined to think it was painted to hide some of the pinstriping.

Back