Best way to do "body work" on bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aside from getting out the hammer and tap tap tapping myself into madness, what is the best way to get pieces straightened, dents removed, etc. on bikes. I know the local motorcycle guys typicall just replace the parts anymore and lbs, doesn't do body work. Thoughts?? Thanks

I'm a weld, hammer and dolly, and filler man. I like using original parts if I can save them, sometimes it is easier to replace them, but I have a problem throwing something away if there is the chance I can fix it for, oh, 3 or 4 times what I could buy another one for. Keeps me broke and out of trouble...

If you have access to an English wheel or plannishing hammer then you could do it that way. But if you don't then the only way to do it is with a hammer and dolly. The goal is to get it as smooth as possible with a hammer and then go over it with a thin coat of body filler and sand smooth. It's tedious work, but unless you've got access to the other machines that's the only way. I work in a restoration shop and my dad is a body man so I grew up with this stuff and enjoy it.

Good luck!, Jon

Cant really hammer on a bike tube to get it out, if its a dent, maybe a dent puller might get it out. If its bad you might have to cut and replace the part, or just fill it with some kind of filler, led or plastic (bondo). I have fixed a hole by patching in new metal, that might also work for a bad dent, cover it with a weld in patch.

fiberglass Bondo or
make a hole on the other side to push it out , then weld the hole closed
for bent frame i use my press and and wooden blocks (hand "screw press" and soft wood)

If its for a tube, I would use a torch to get the dent hot, could either drill a hole in the center of the dent and use a dent puller or weld a stud to the dent and try to pull it out.. I did hear a guy say that for handlebars you can fill them with water and freeze it. I do not know if this works, but would like to try it. Pictures of what kind of 'body work' you need done would help.

Hope this helps, Jon

Tube small dents I just fill with the mig then grind them flat. It usually takes 2-3 sessions to do. Metal is metal and shrinking / stretching is the only way to get them flat and it doesnt matter if you do it with an air assisted machine or hammer and dolly. Most of the sheet metal on bikes is so thin I wouldnt use anything but a hammer and dolly since you have much more control over what your doing.

Generally, I just leave them. My '56 Schwinn has torn up fenders, and as long as they don't rub on the tire, I leave it. Call it patina. :)

On the rare occasion that I do need to fix a dent, like on a frame, I weld fill and grind smooth. Tried filling material once, and didn't like it.

If it is a dent in the tubing, I use j.b. weld putty. It comes in a stick, the outside is the filler and the core is the hardener. You just tear a piece off, roll it around in your hand until it is a uniform color and it will heat up as well. Then push it into the dent, let it cure, and sand it flat. The part I like is that once you sand it , it kind of looks like metal. For those who already know how the product is used, sorry for explaining, but I wanted to illustrate how easy it is to use.

If you think the metal is too thin I have sceen a guy take a tdent out by heating the metal(he used the max setting on a heat gun), the using compressed air to "pop" it out. Not sure how it would work on a tube though.

I would also suggest good hammer and dolly. I have used the cheap ones from HF but I got Martin Tools set really cheap and the difference is imediate.

Just my .02

Good ideas all. Any body ever use a "fender roller"?? I've seen talk about it...maybe here, maybe on the CABE.

NewOrleansFlyer said:
Good ideas all. Any body ever use a "fender roller"?? I've seen talk about it...maybe here, maybe on the CABE.

use? I've never even seen one in person... :lol:

For fenders I normally just use a ball peen hammer and the anvil on the back of my bench vise. But I am not going for perfect just get a fender straight enough to use again and make the dents less noticeable.

For frame dents I use a dab of body filler or just leave the dent and put a Rat Rod Bike sticker over it. :mrgreen:

NewOrleansFlyer said:

Yes. If you need to repair (rounded) fenders regularly there is no substitute. Yes they are expensive, about $350. But, they are like money in the bank; I have never seen one resell for less. There are vintage units, and there are new units being made today. Me being me, mine is a vintage unit. :) They are not as helpful for peaked or corrugated fenders, but the new units can be bought with more dies ( for more $) that might(?) work on those. I haven't got that far yet.

Back