Beyond THUNDERDOME

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Frame-48-53 western flyer or sears spaceliner maybe??? Fender from 5150 kicker cutdown, engine turned. Madmax spokes for cutting through mutants, springer front end. Will get stripes and a wicked ace in the hole to be revealed later???????? Comments welcome, sorry for the late start but there will be regular updates from here on in.

download-1.jpg

download.jpg

two men enter, one man leaves! I pose the question? What is rattier than the post paco lips? Nothing, heres the engine turned rear fender, just needs a little rust added for patina. Whats that? I'm sorry I didn't quite catch...oh its just a dual slicked rear tire, y'know for when your towing things in the wasteland! Ha ha hahaha.
download

download

Hey, at least you got Stevo to post in your thread, that's quite a start!

Hey Jeremy, I got some pics of the wheels I think, you want me to upload? The fender turned out rad today by the way! Haley said we might think about adding one to the front aswell.

Thanks everybody for the inspirational pictures and video! I am glad that you guys restrained yourselves from posting and Tina Turner "We Need a Hero" videos. I finally figured out photobucket so here are some pictures!
P6240288.jpg

Here is the frame and fork. Spaceliner frame and JC Higgins fork. They both have a good thunderdomeesque petina.
P6240291.jpg

P6240290.jpg

Some sort of seat with a good petina aswell!
P6240292.jpg

Crank off of an old schwinn excersiser, I flipped the chainring over so hopefully it just barely clears the frame!

I promised pictures of wheels, but I am busy helping Stevo get his Kicker 5150 ready for Hoggs and Doggs motorcycle rally in West Richland tonight!
P6240296.jpg

Stripes by Jeremy (Scisorsorion) Front fender from this bad low machine will be used on our build!

Ok, here is the story with the wheels:
CRBS Co-owner Darren donated some specialized fatboy 26X1.5 skinwall tires and decided that the rear wheel should be a dualie:
DSC01241.jpg

So Jeremy (Scisorsorion) welded together some 26" alloy rims that we had lying around:
DSCN1555.jpg

our original plan was to make some homemade aero disk style wheel covers, however pressing aluminum to fit the dish of a wheel turned out to be very difficult ... and we got side tracked.
I laced a modern shimano coaster brake hub we had lying around into the rims 4-cross, with the spokes from each hub flange going to the opposite rim so that the spoke tension would be pulling the rims together rather than apart. But the spokes we had lying around were either too short, which wouldn't work for obvious reasons, or waaaaaay to long, so I put three twists on each crossing pair of spokes. I figured the disks would cover up to spokes so that it wouldn't matter anyway. We installed the tires, and mounted the rear wheel into a test rig (huffy) to make sure it was strong enough to ride, and put a few miles on it here in down town Kennewick. Although hard to true completely, the wheel is stiff and rides like any other single balloon tire, if not for maybe a little extra harshness upon landing bunny hops and what not. While showing off our dualie we got many comments to the effect of: "Hey dude man, that would totally looks like barbed wire without the barbs, man, woah!" And so I took some old rusty safety wire, and made it happen:
P6240295.jpg

I then did the same with a 24" front wheel, but I added some Post Apocalyptic Battle Bike style hub shiners that I took off on an old shimano rebuild-able 5 spd freewheel:
P6240293.jpg

Tire installed is for mock up purposes, But I think that it might stay, perhaps with a couple hundred sheet metal screws drilled through it.

I have read a number of discussions on other build off threads about each participants personal definition of what a rat rod is. What makes a this website so fantastic is that the definition of a rat rod is almost all encompassing of the entire bicycle spectrum. This has lead the Chain Reaction Bike Shop crew to discuss much what a rat rod means to them. I have personally concluded that in my definition of the ultimate rat rod ideology would have to be a Mad Max style post apocalyptic future battle bike of sorts, where pieces of bikes, cars, motorcycles, etc... are re-purposed to create a battle bike worthy of being pitted against foes in the Thunderdome. And a battle bike is not just simply a rat rod, it is a weapon used to slay and conquer! and so my point is... Here is a weapon-esque head set stack mock up:
P6240298.jpg

The steerer tube was a little long so I had plenty of space to work with. It goes: bearing, crown race, another crown race, schwinn style upside down upper cup, freewheel cog, another schwinn style upper cup, fork brace thingy, gear, spacer, huffy style upper race.

Back