Big guy bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's hard being a big guy at 6'4" and not looking strange on most bikes. I'd like to find an older bike to build a real "rat" with or even just keep it original. I'm just not sure what to look for. I don't know what's out there that would fit me well. I haven't been able to actually ride an older bike, but I can say that just about any new bike at department stores & bike shops are not comfortable at all. No matter how the seat & bar is adjusted, I feel cramped. The only bikes I feel good on are the big man cruisers, such as some offered by Phat,Firmstrong,Electra,etc. Not diggin' those. Too plain,no character really. Just not my thing. Anyone else have this problem or have an idea what might work for me? Thanks guys.

well being 6' 2" i thought that uncomfortable was something that just came with it, but lately ive been looking at bikes that are bigger. i have noticed alot that they are usually newer and sometimes more expensive. ive got an electra bomber that i got for dirt of craigslist. i would recommend it to anyone who is tall er and wants a comfortable looking bike, and the design of the frame is very very clost to those of a monark. just my 2 cents

I'm thinking this Onex I'm building with a layback seat post would accommodate guys 6'5" and taller... But it doesn't look very vintage...

I do know Worksman Cycles makes a big guy frame, the top bar goes straight across instead of curve down near the seat post. Go to Gallery under Worksman,There is a pic on page 2 and a couple of pics on page 3

I'm also tall @ 6'5" or 5'17". First thing I do is swap seat clamp around for more room and or layed back seat post. I think if you look at anyone 6' or taller on a 26 " bike they look larger than the bike but I think with minor adjustments you can make comfortable.I ran accross a bike made by Giant bikes just a cruiser rides nice kinda pricey new I found mine used,rides nice. Besides we dont need ladders to change light bulbs! :)

I'm 6'8" and I combat this problem by riding 20" bikes like a stingray. You can sit way back on the banana seat, put the bars a little forward and you're good to go. Everybody looks big on a kids bike you won't be alone. Plus, everybody loves stingrays!

Around here a lot of the bigger guys ride the Electra Ghostrider with an offset seat post for more room. Jack Delrio (former Jaguars head coach) rides one and he is a pretty big guy.

[/quote]Don't worry! We love all you little guys too. :lol:[/quote]
I don't! They get to ride anything they want and look cool. I look like I'm riding a clown bike most of the time :x

largek9 said:
I'm also tall @ 6'5" or 5'17". First thing I do is swap seat clamp around for more room and or layed back seat post. I think if you look at anyone 6' or taller on a 26 " bike they look larger than the bike but I think with minor adjustments you can make comfortable.I ran accross a bike made by Giant bikes just a cruiser rides nice kinda pricey new I found mine used,rides nice. Besides we dont need ladders to change light bulbs! :)

I actually checked out the Simple bike by Giant at a local bike shop. I was very close to getting that or one by American Flyer. Both large framed & I believe aluminum. I really wanted something with a vintage-type frame w/fenders,so I passed. The layed back seat post is a great idea. Are they available or would I have to make one up?

Ok. Did what I should have done in the first place & ran a search. I think I'm gonna try to fab one up. Either using an old crank like other members have done here, or just getting some thick walled pipe bent up.

There were Schwinn American "King/Size" bikes in the 60's only made for 2 or 3 years though. Both SE Racing and Torker have some pretty cool looking 29" bikes though for scale.

Schwinn American "King Size"

1962redkingsizeamerican.jpg

SE Big Style

2012_SE_Big%20Style_Sideb.jpg

Torker T29

T29-thumb_960.jpg

GameBent said:
Electra introduced a 'tall' version of their Cruiser 1 this year. It's supposed to be for riders over 6ft tall, but I'm unsure of the specs.
http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/cruiser-cruiser1-bikes-mens

Yeah, I saw that one too. The one that was in my price range was the Firmstrong Chief. Offered in a 3spd & a "pedal-forward" design. Very comfortable to ride. Just that plain frame. Not to mention made in China & very cheap looking components & chrome. It does however get pretty good reviews.Coulda got it locally for $219 w/3spd.

59bd47b5e157df8d9f11ce301dc39fd0_image_350x224.jpg

CCR said:
There were Schwinn American "King/Size" bikes in the 60's only made for 2 or 3 years though. Both SE Racing and Torker have some pretty cool looking 29" bikes though for scale.

Schwinn American "King Size"

1962redkingsizeamerican.jpg

Now that is nice! I'd imagine they don't pop up for sale very often?

don't see them too often and usually never in that good of shape but they are still out there. i found a 62 typhoon without looking to hard though so anything is possible. the thing is if the person knows what they've got they will probably be pricey.

How do you tell the difference between the king size and regular? what do you look for? I have several Schwinns and think one might be a bit bigger than the rest.

Back