BIKE FLIPPERS, what's your opinion?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, although I don't do alot of "flipping" on my bicycles. I do sell some and have parted out some for sale. First, I consider my era 30's thru 50's, I am by no means an expert but I know what I like. I have a few unmolested originals, very few, but I plan for them to stay that way. Original paint is nice only to a certain point of decay, after that, I would rather see them restored. I have a respect for rare original bikes, but they really have no place in my collection, if it that nice and that valuable, I can't see myself riding it, if I can't ride it I don't need it collecting dust. I returned to bikes after a long affair with hot rod cars, I have always laughed about the rare low mileage factory cars that collectors drool over. I think those belong in museums not personal collections. #1 cars are made to be driven, #2 the factory NEVER made a car that couldn't be modified and improved for more speed, better handling, more comfort, what ever your goals may be. My feelings on bikes are basically the same. I think that most concerns about balloon bikes all being parted out leaving none for the people who enjoy them are exaggerated.... it is more likely that the people who enjoy these bikes will disappear as our group continues to age. Admittedly, I mess with "rare" $100 tanks, so my transgressions aren't really removing collection quality bikes from the market. BUT, I have no problem making a tank fit a frame, or a frame fit a tank for that matter! I have 2 Elgin step-thru frames, both with the curved seat tube..... I have no issue cutting these up and making boys bikes from them. Heck, I am excited about cutting them up! See, to me....being a rat rodder isn't about the rust....it is about taking a pile of parts from vintage bikes, cars, motorcycles, household items, etc., etc..and building something cool to ride! I am not in this hobby to time capsule bikes for the next generation..... I am in this hobby because I truly enjoy a bike ride, AND I want to build some SIC Big Ape 1 off rat rod bicycles! I apologize if that causes anyone grief due to the fact I am mismatching desirable parts in order to build my Frankenstein monsters. Right or wrong, parts are worth what ever someone is willing to pay for them....... what the buyer does with those parts is their business.

Big Ape sez: "I think that most concerns about balloon bikes all being parted out leaving none for the people who enjoy them are exaggerated...."

Apparently, the people that enjoy them are us guys, who have other ideas for the frames and such
I have to agree with this, and of course a lot of what you said APE

A while back I 'refurbished' a '57 Schwinn Spitfire,
Ladies Middleweight.
Nothing fancy, but it was spray painted silver all over, so I ended up repainting the 'frame'. matched a Schwinn green. I couldn't give that thing away. Took it to bike shops, pawn shops, fru fru antique places...all the same " We just can't sell those old bikes, no one wants them"

So the heck with it...parted it out...sold most of it on Ebay...and I kept the frame only. This way, other guys and gals who are finishing bikes "period correct" could get the parts they need.

Yeah, most vintage bike people are original paint people too!! No matter how rough or beat up!! I still have trouble understanding that part of this hobby. Your good restoration devalued the bike to most collectors.

Yeah, most vintage bike people are original paint people too!! No matter how rough or beat up!! I still have trouble understanding that part of this hobby. Your good restoration devalued the bike to most collectors.

Yes, it did indeed.
Of course, that was before I 'found' this great site, and got hip to a lot of ideas about old bikes, modding bikes, swapping parts, etc. Right now, I'm into just 'finding' general use bikes, and cleaning them up, paint and service, then sell 'em on CList.
BUT, I did get a welder, and pipe bender, and building a hella large parts collection...soooo maybe I'll branch out eventually.
Tell you what, the next 'old' bike I find, I'm gonna drag it behind the car for a few blocks, beat the snot out of it, then 'polish' what's left of the paint...maybe then it would be worth something. :)

I hate to admit it & it drives my wife crazy but I have always bought bikes with the intent to sell in the future. My problem is I get attached to them & won't let them go.

So you are saying that Columbia fire arrow frame is for sale?? That is my second favorite 60's frame, right behind spaceliners! I gotta get out there and meet you Kansas members some time, seem like a great bunch of guys!!

as a hobbyist i do sell bikes and parts to support my hobby but some of these so caleld flippers wouldn't know a 10 speed from a 21 speed they just buy it and try to resell it and havent got a clue what they are doing.
this is where i get annoyed if you are going to be a bike flipper at least know what you are doing and what you are selling. i hve a big pile of "vintage" bikes that aren't even worth their weight in scrap metal guys buy them to flip and after sitting on it for 2 years they call me to get them and haul them off. happens all the time round here

Latest posts

Back