Bike flipping season

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to say that bike flipping season is quite early this year. I started advertising last month and already about 20 bikes sold so far. It's unbelievable. I have been doing this for 3 years now and usually the season's starts in may. No complaining tho. I'm just happy that I can make a little bit of money with my hobby. My favorite part is dismantling a bike. My worst... cleaning rust on chrome wheels. Seems like I have a lot of chrome to clean lately. By the end of the summer I might have the amount of bikes under control to under an hundred (in my dreams). Thanks to the bikes I will most likely to be able to afford the new motor my car needs badly. I love bike flipping!

I sold a bike driving down my road in March! :shock: Nice $110 in my pocket :wink:

Nice, with so many bikes to flip you should just get a tub of Oxalic acid and dip them all. Makes cleaning chrome so much easier.

I hear ya! I love flippin bikes to pay for my hobby. I just picked a bike outta the dump yesterday and sold it today without doing a thing to it for an easy $50. Gotta love it!

Yep I've had a few good scores so far this year. Bought one for $20 and sold for $300, had one I paid $7 for and traded off for a few to add to my private collection, and a Schwinn tandem I paid $100 for and traded for two tandem projects then sold one for $100 without doing a thing to it. So I got the 3 wheel tandem with motor kit for NOTHING! It's been a great season so far!

Then also got a 1994 Yamaha Razz moped for $50!

Bike flipping ended for me about 4 years ago when the full-time flippers took over and then I moved and no longer had a good source for bikes.

I've been paying through the nose lately for the stuff I have been buying because it's stuff that I want.

This is my kinda thread. The winter is so mild here that bike flipping season is year round. I haven't had as much spare time lately, so a few bikes I have just posted as fixer uppers and I still get $80-$100 for them. My co-workers get a kick out my profit stories. I have even more than once bought a bike off of craigslist and repost it on craigslist less than 48 hours later and double or triple my money.

Yeah around here we get a mix of weather but had a really mild winter this year and an early spring so it has been good. I been hitting up the second hand stores, scrapyards, yard sales, goodwill, and other places so far so good but I'm still waiting to find a yard sale priced Elgin Bluebird, Luxury Liner, Black Phantom, or Hutch XL-24. :mrgreen:

I have a big ticket sale that I need to help my dad with now.
Anyone interested in a 32 foot center console deep sea fishing boat with twin 250HP outboards for $60K??????

Been working hard over the winter fixing and tuning mostly flipper mountain bikes. I've sold 5 in the last month, and have 3 or 4 more up on CL now. Sold a Haro BMX I gave $3.75 for for $75, $50 Schwinn MTB for $140. Don't know off the top of my head how much profit I've made from flips, but lets just say last time I checked, I was even on money and I've got about 50 bikes in my pole barn, so whatever I paid for those 50 is how much money I'm up.

For what I pay for most of my bikes I could double my money selling one part off of them. Problem I have is I don't have the storage space for the bikes I have in my collection but somehow I cram them in the shed. I still buy bikes if they are a deal and worry about where to put them when I get them home. I have had a few times I have had to bring them inside and stash them in my man room.

When I clicked on this topic I thought it was going to be about a new riding trick I needed to learn............. :wink:
I 'need' to lighten the herd, but the packing and shipping puts me off. Im thinking of posting that I'll sell and deliver, or meet someone within a certain radius from my place?

Lots of Annual Spring HOA Garage sales in my area in April.

I just wish they were selling something other than dept store bikes! :(

Time to load up on "inventory". :D

My bike flipping season will be short this year. I have a lot of keepers and have been selling the flippers all winter (only 2 snow storms in Denver this winter). Bicycles are officially on the back burner this year since I'm car racing again. You can expect to see a lot of my "good stuff" getting sold on here though if I need tire money =(

It's the boyfriend racing season soon too. He spends his nights in the garage getting his car ready. If he's not in there he's on the computer making some research. I can't even go work in my side of the garage when he's in there. That's pretty serious!

I have a bunch to flip this year, started in November and started to stock pile them. My goal was to have 50 ready to sell in the spring. I got to the 39th bike and started on C/L. In Feb sold 16, March sold around 20 and so far Im up to 45 bikes sold with about 70 rebuilt and all tuned up.
But, it seems like I have taken in more than I can sell, I have several guys looking out for me while I waste my time out in the garage figuring out what people want to buy. Kids, bmx, road, Cruisers, mtb's. They all have sold, even the el-cheaop's. I have traded a couple of real nice road bikes for real nice MTB's.

One case I had a junk 70's ladys Chimo road bike as just a projet bike, $40. No takers, restore it and relist for $150 and the phone rang off the hook till I sold it. With gas close to $4 a gallion they should sell well.

Latest posts

Back