Bikes I likes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1990, in 2024.
IMG_20240310_204125.jpg

I like the concept, but the execution looks a bit awkward in my honest opinion…
I’ve constructed a gravity bike however, and I’ll admit that I’ve always thought about ways to propel uphill besides scooting or just straight up walking some of these hills around here…I actually have a crank/slash wheel setup but it’s too small and my gravity bike has disc brakes (which I refuse to give up). But I’m really intrigued as to how this is going to turn out. Prone bikes to me are like platypuses. Interesting yet quite dangerous if mishandled. Wishing you the best on the build mate. Cheers.

that multi color dayglo fade was my favorite paint scheme back then. In the 80s I was so jealous that my racing team mate was having his custom built Serotta painted like that that I said to him all winter long while it was being built, that I hoped he crashed it in the first race of season. Yup, he crashed it in the first training series race. It was beyond repair. As he was waiting in the road for the ambulance, I said "dude your bike is effed", he said, "Thompson, come here" I moved over to him, he said "closer", I bent down near to his face, and with his good arm he popped me in the face. He was a golden gloves boxer in high school. He got me good. haha

that multi color dayglo fade was my favorite paint scheme back then. In the 80s I was so jealous that my racing team mate was having his custom built Serotta painted like that that I said to him all winter long while it was being built, that I hoped he crashed it in the first race of season. Yup, he crashed it in the first training series race. It was beyond repair. As he was waiting in the road for the ambulance, I said "dude your bike is effed", he said, "Thompson, come here" I moved over to him, he said "closer", I bent down near to his face, and with his good arm he popped me in the face. He was a golden gloves boxer in high school. He got me good. haha

That's a good jab mate! I'm still jealous of your bike!
1711142388524.png

And that looks like one of my favorite tires for the rear - ground control. I dont believe the make that one anymore.....

And that looks like one of my favorite tires for the rear - ground control. I dont believe the make that one anymore.....
Last year, I found a pair of Spesh Ground Control/Masters from back then, still almost brand new. 20 bucks sounds like a deal, but I drove 240km to get them

Really in depth interview with an American artisan bike builder on the Taiwanese bike building industry. Very cool to see the welders who made the many of the "bikes I like" getting some well deserved credit. These guys make more hand welded frames in a week than a boutique builder makes in a lifetime. Many Canadian brands such as Tech Cycles, BRC, Norco, the entry level Kona and Rocky Mountains, all came from factories like this.

Ok this is funny. Cal worked at Cook Bros back in the day. He made a stereo cart with some old stems he had for the handle mount. Cook Bros stems sell for a few hundred dollars each, at least View attachment 261896
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/repurposing-vintage-bicycle-parts.477810/#post-3568525

He's melting some minds over there :rofl:
I don't have, or will ever have, the bikes and parts you have, but I do have the wooden machinist tool box on the work bench. It belonged to my father.

I don't have, or will ever have, the bikes and parts you have, but I do have the wooden machinist tool box on the work bench. It belonged to my father.
To be clear, that's not me, that's a guy in California. Just sharing something I read elsewhere.. I do have some of my father's tools, as well as my grandfather's, and my father in law's. It's a nice connection with the past, feels like they're there helping me still

Latest posts

Back