Bittersweet day (Updated, this fixable?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bittersweet day

so I went and picked it up today, and he neglected to tell me the bottom tube going into the headtube is completely busted... is this fixable or another yard decoration?

Photo0065.jpg

Photo0067.jpg

Firestone Town and Country S.C. tires.. the front tube even still holds air. :D
Photo0068.jpg

and looks like this was welded at one time as well
Photo0066.jpg

my butt wont even fit on the front seat due to the handlebars being too narrow... obviously a design flaw as my butt is not that large :lol:

that tube is definately fixable. alot of people cut the bottom tubes to lower bikes when leaning the headtube back, so im sure it wont be a problem :D

Hey, that is definitely fixable.

My advice would be as follows:

1. Get a small tube that either fits snugly or is machined to fit within the old downtube (machined fit would probably be better... probably cheap an easy enough too, just get a smaller diameter tube that is close and have it turned down in a lathe?)

2. clean the edges of the break off so they less jagged and free of rust

3. Put the small tube in the downtube at the break and weld her up (since you ground the edges you'll have a little space to fill with weld, and that's ideal)

Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words... Walker did a great how-to on this kind of repair with a broken fork. I'll see if I can retrieve it. If you do repair the frame this way, it would hold up great and if you did good clean up work, no one would know it ever broke.

Yep, check this thread out, first page: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20700&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=elgin+fork+repair

PS, I have had a few of these tandems in the past and have a bunch of the little parts (seat/stem combo, idler, etc.)... I'd "pay it forward" on anything you needed so long as I have it, just lmk.

many thanks on the quick replies and advice...

as of right now I am going forward with this setup... I am not a welder so I will take it to a local weld shop who claim they can weld anything.. we'll see lol

if all else fails, I am only 85 miles from Pittsburgh so dogdart lookout, I may be knocking on your door.. lol

Back