Black Tie-phoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hammond Eggz said:
Thanks, guys.
Funny, obviously a lot of great minds think alike here - someone else mentioned the bowtie earlier, and that was one of the first things I planned for it!

Don't forget the cuff links in the grip holes, and for heaven's sake, armor all the shoes!

Wow...thanks for the compliments, guys - very nice! I was getting a little inferiority complex looking at the other builds going on, so it's nice to know that I'm doing OK in some peoples' opinion. 8)

I'll give the "bronzed" tie idea some thought. I do like the "metal" aspect of that. Strangely enough, there was an article in the local paper just a couple of weeks ago about a guy in town who has started doing that with baby shoes, etc. Hmmm...

And Skills - weird coincidence you'd mention the chrome shorty ducktail. As I was messing with the lights yesterday, I started looking at a set I have for a newer frame, thinking, "I wonder what that would look like on the back of this bike?"!

AWESOME!! Stop worrying about other peoples bikes. Believe me they are worrying about yours if they are so concerned about winning. PEACE

Hammond Eggz said:
Wow...thanks for the compliments, guys - very nice! I was getting a little inferiority complex looking at the other builds going on, so it's nice to know that I'm doing OK in some peoples' opinion. 8)

Worried???
Man, you have the Black Beauty on two wheels....
Stil can't wait for what you've got in store for it :wink:
The brooks certainly did the trick.

Well, not much time for playing with my entry the last few days, but I took a minute to get a set bright and shiny bow pedals (get it - "bow"? bow tie? :mrgreen: ) from one of my new Electras mounted up...

003-9.jpg

As much as I love the originals on there, they're just too grungy for this build.

Yeah, and even better, I had a black one with chrome springs. 8)

Just finished going through your thread from start to finish here, and I have to admit, it's a super nice build! Keep it up!
Pardon me for throwing in my 2 cents here (and ignore it if you want) but for me, the rear bag seems to be in the way. It's not that I don't like it, it's just placed wrong to me.
It almost makes it to busy with the springs of the seat and the rear tail light, that bag may need to be moved. Perhaps hang it under the seat? or even lower behind the seat post like an oil tank.

Just a few thoughts!

Keep it up! can't wait to see it finished!

ham, that bike is on the money! :mrgreen: you balanced the black/chrome perfectly,and all the parts make for a clean look! :D great work.

erichitscar said:
Pardon me for throwing in my 2 cents here (and ignore it if you want) but for me, the rear bag seems to be in the way. It's not that I don't like it, it's just placed wrong to me.
It almost makes it to busy with the springs of the seat and the rear tail light, that bag may need to be moved. Perhaps hang it under the seat? or even lower behind the seat post like an oil tank.

Hmmm...OK, something to consider.
Personally, I like the way it looks, but I'm definitely open to comments and suggestions; another set of eyes is always good. Anyone else have an opinion?
And thanks for the compliments to you and Texas!

Well, got to do a little playing around. I messed with the fender that I was eyeing the other day. It's actually for modern bikes and way too wide, and I'm not sure I want to hack it up to make it fit for this build - just won't look classy enough. But in playing around, this came to mind:

002-7.jpg

001-12.jpg

Not too bad, kind of gives it a little of a "tux & tails" effect. But...it also reminds me of sort of a low-rider look, which I'm really not going for here. Hmmm...

I also started to mount a new front tire. I had been envisioning a skinnier front whitewall, and was pretty jazzed to find a wide-ish white in a 26 x 1 1/2 size, much skinnier then the 2.125s on the rear. Score.
Almost....
I took the other tire off, and started to mount the new one, only to find this:

003-10.jpg

WTH?

It must be some odd sizing I'm not aware of, and has a different way of describing the tire size than what I'm used to, because the inside diameter is almost 2 inches larger than any of my 26" cruiser or mountain bike tires! I even re-checked the size on the sidewall just to make sure I hadn't brain-farted:

004-5.jpg

So, I had the bright idea of grabbing a 700C wheelset I have that's nearly identical to the 26 inchers on the bike now, thinking that might be a decent fit, and I'd still have matching wheels for the two different tire sizes.
Not so much. Way too small on the inside diameter. Not even close.
Sooooo...if anybody has a clue what the story is here, I'm dying to know!
Ah well, back to fatties front and rear (which I actually like anyway)!

Back