BMX cruiser style Schwinn Sting-Ray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put this 20" BMX mini cruiser together for my 9 year old today with parts I've accumulated over the past couple of months...

IMGP0959.jpg

IMGP0958.jpg

I started with a made in China repop black Sting-Ray Krate I found at a local thrift store for $10. I think it's one of those Walmart Black Friday specials from 2007. Unfortunately it was left outside and neglected so most of the chrome parts it came with are pretty rusty and the black finish on the frame has gone a little dull (looks almost like flat black paint in some spots).

The coaster brake alloy wheelset came from a virtually unused Pacific pink BMX style girl's bike from the same thrift store - that was $8. The Kenda Kovert tires and chainwheel came from a recent Mongoose freestyle BMX bike I got from another thrift store for $5. The one piece crank and platform pedals are from a nice ladies beach cruiser I got from CL for $15. The Schwinn BMX saddle came from a beat up MTB that I parted out.

The old school Race Inc. gold ano aluminum handlebars, Suntour gold ano stem, fluted gold ano alloy seatpost, Tange TRX forks and the headset came from a well used 1979-1980 Redline MX-II that a co-worker (who used to race BMX BITD) gave to me... he said was just about to put it out to the curb :shock: - but heard I am tinkering with bikes and let me have it instead (thank goodness!) :D

That's a cool bike! It reminds me of my first bike. It was a black Huffy 20" canteliever. Over time I decked it out with blue ano bmx parts. It looked a lot like yours. :mrgreen:

Ape Stanger said:
That's a cool bike! It reminds me of my first bike. It was a black Huffy 20" canteliever. Over time I decked it out with blue ano bmx parts. It looked a lot like yours. :mrgreen:

wheelbender6 said:
Lucky 9 year old.

Thanks - I still need to put some new grips on it. Plus, I'm not sure about those handlebars... they might be a little too big.

Good looking build. 8)

I like build stories where parts are found cheap but result in a nice bike. :D

old_skool said:
Ape Stanger said:

wheelbender6 said:
Lucky 9 year old.

Thanks - I still need to put some new grips on it. Plus, I'm not sure about those handlebars... they might be a little too big.

trust me... those bars are not too big and very soon you will be putting bigger ones on ( if your 9yr old is anything like my 9yr old granddaughter).

Sweet build, she's needin a set of these bad boys on there though. 8)
bmxmototires.jpg

Back