Bobber:ish Rex Lyx 1936 Build. *Its DONE*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Great forum and alot of inspiration!

I started this build yesterday when i came over an old Rex Lyx 1936 (Swedish) yearmodel, it was just what i was looking for, it was kinda a shame to start to cut it as it was in really good shape and a great patina, but i started to cut it up! :)

So today i went to my friends shop and started to mock it up and spot weld the thing together, im really happy with how it came out, alot of work yet to do, hopefully it will be rideble pretty comfortable as well.

Alot of nice parts came with the bike when i bought it that will be used, more on that later.

Parts i will buy is:

Monark Springer type2 fork.
Felt 24" rear (maybe 3 speed) wheel, front is unclear still, 26" though.
Felt Thick Brick white walls, front quick brick white wall.

One pic of the progress so far...

IMG_0033.jpg

Re: Bobber:ish Rex Lyx 1936 Build.

Thanks guys!

ruddigger said:
That big space is screaming for a motor.

Yea it really does, maybe when im done pedaling! :lol:

A little more progress, made a little piece for the saddle springs to mount to, turned out ok, also put the headlight there, looks really nice.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Hade a little progress today, mounted the kickstand, the legs will get up a little more, need to tension the springs, also put the rear fender on for mock up, will of course be cut down.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

I got my Monark springer fork today, i had to modify a few things to make it fit, i had to use the old bearing race on the underside, turned it down on the lathe to make it fit on the Monark fork, and on the upper side i had to use one of the new bearings race, had to turn that one down as well to fit in the headtube.

All i need now is to figure out what stem and bars im going to use, the bar and stem in the pic is just for mock up.

I have also realized that i might need to stretch the frame a little, maybe 4" or so, will see about that later.

Now im waiting on the rear wheel and a pair of tires to fit the wheels!

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IronDio said:
This bike is killer!!! I love it! Great work!

Thanks!

There are quite some work yet to be done, should be much better! :D

i am liking the lines of this bike except the front down tube curve. Can you smooth it out?

g-ratter said:
i am liking the lines of this bike except the front down tube curve. Can you smooth it out?

Thx!

Na i like it as it is, i was going to do a straight downtube at first but i thought it was nice to keep as much of the original parts as possible. I only have a bad tubebender that will make the tube flat when bending so i will not risk it.

Found an old bmx bar that I think could be pretty good for this build, don't mind the crossbar, I will cut it if I decide to use it, what you think, ya or na?

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

I like it with the original fork. Is that wrong?

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
+1 the first fork looked good. i also like the full rear fender...... but at the ebd f the day you have to be the one that feels right about the build... nice work all in all.. clean cruiser in the making....

ifitsfreeitsforme said:

Yea so did i, but i also like the springer fork alot, and the stem sat so hard in the forktube that i had to cut the steering tube off to get the fork out of the frame. Nothing work with your liking, i just really like the springer! :)

old school 64 said:
Big ol' YAY on the BMX bars..think they would flow good with the bike... :D Beautiful work !!

Thanks alot!

Yea i think the bar is a keeper, just cut the crossbar off and it will flow even more with the rest!

jaysmo said:
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
+1 the first fork looked good. i also like the full rear fender...... but at the ebd f the day you have to be the one that feels right about the build... nice work all in all.. clean cruiser in the making....

I dont know about if i will go full fender in the rear yet, i have to look closer on that when i get my rear wheel and tire. Thanks for the kind words!

Back