Brass Wool, Where?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Where would one find brass wool? I have tried all of the better hardware stores in my area. None at the home stores either. Should I try auto stores? What gives?

I'm trying to bring back the finish on a pink ladies Hawthorne. Not that it is in particularly bad shape. I planned on using fine to medium brass wool and oil to get rid of rust and surface oxidation. I will try to avoid the white logo and rear fender area entirely, if possible.

After cleaning and reassembly, I will follow with either a wax or clear coat. Sound sane?

BTW, I am looking for a 26 x 1-3/8 coaster for this bike. I have stuff to trade or $$$.

2hcj9so.jpg

ive never actually seen any here either(but then again our local mom and pop got shut down thanks to the box stores :x )....
ive always used #000-#0000 steel wool and never had any problems with it myself(a brass brush works great for the stubborn stuff) and personally id skip clearing after cleaning it and just wax it(if you clear w/o color sanding the paint you have a possibility of the clear flaking off down the road....dont know how long or anything else....just 'if you dont sand it dont stick')

I have the best results w/a brass wire wheel on an electric drill. Actually, I bought a Ryobi 4 1/2" angle grinder which came w/a brass wire wheel, that thing was SWEET! I wore it down to a nub, and can't find another.. :( But the drill wheels are available at Northern Tool and Harbor Freight, and to a lesser extent at Home Depot and Lowe's. You can clean most of a rim with one, but a brass brush is key to getting close to the spokes. I use some fine steel wool on occasion too, as well as "Nevr Dull" . Usually, I'll wipe down a part w/nevr dull, and then hit it w/the brass wheel. ~Adam

Have you looked in the dremel aisle? I have 3 different brass wire attachments for my dremel (came in a huge kit with just about every dremel attachment they make)

I get mine at the Walmart Supercenter. I can't remember if they're brass wool or copper wool, but they get the job done right. I don't know if they ever finished the Supercenter in Madison, but the regular wally world or the Super Target off McKee Road should carry them. Check by the mops and dish scrubbers. The Willy Street co-op might have them too.

I used the wire version on my power drill for the heavy rust, where the chrome is pitted.. It saves a lot of time but might be overkill if the bike is in good shape.

Clear coat should be more durable than wax. The question is, what do you plan to use for clear coat? Acrylic? Lacquer?

Rubbing compound might work better on a painted surface. It was created to remove the oxidized surface of paint and leave the more lustrous and less exposed layer of it below. It was made for paint before clear coat came about, and since all the cars seem to be clear coated nowadays you don't here about it too much anymore. I don't know how it performs on rust, but after re-reading your post, a brass or copper wool pad might be too abrasive on the paint of a good condition bike, even if there is a little rust around it. On chrome, however, brass and copper is the way to go. Wet foil works too.

Back