BSA motorcycle inspired first build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mastronaut said:
I'm floored! This is amazing, the eye for detail, the craftsmanship, the whole thing is astounding! I can't wait to see the finished product! Pure genius... 8)

yoothgeye said:
Yeah, what he said.

Thanks fellas! That's quite a compliment :D . It's evolved considerably as the build's moved on but I'm very happy with the over all look of the bike now..except for the handlebars! (which is why they're off the bike on most of my photos). I can't wait to see it finished either, but now that it's winter there's no rush :lol: . So long as it's done by spring. Hopefully we'll have another heatwave like this years spring?! :)

Pushie Pirate said:
Love how you have used a shovel for a seat, this bike is awesome, well done!

Cheers mate. I got the shovel seat idea from this forum, although I can't remember where/which build?

Will

Awesome build!

LarzBahrs said:
Awesome!!!!! It reminds me of the silent grey fellow hd!

Thanks! My Dad has a book about vintage Harley Davidson bikes, I think that has also influenced this build. Not that it matters?. On the contrary I love those old Harleys, and at least I know I'm on the right track with regards to era? (give or take a few years :lol: ) :D

p.s the bike won't be staying grey in colour, 'though the more I look at it the more I like it!

Here's a little update from today. I can't do much with the seat as I'm waiting for the fibreglass stuff to harden, so I made some mounting brackets for the chainguard. It didn't have any when I bought it but it was CHEAP :lol:
2013-01-01144013.jpg

2013-01-01144031.jpg

Here's a side on shot with the chainguard fitted, it needs a couple of little tweaks here and there but it doesn't look bad :)
2013-01-01144128.jpg

Will

Hey everyone! :D
I haven't been here in a while as this project came to a bit of a standstill. Until recently I didn't have the time (or the right weather when I did have time!) to work on the bike. Anyway, I've just been laid off work for a month as we've been having cash flow problems :( . It's been a blessing in a way though. I don't often take holidays so the time off has been good. The time off coupled with some marvellous weather (by British standards :lol:) has got me back on track with some of my projects.

Here goes. There were a few things I wasn't happy with when I started working on the bike again. These were the handlebars, stem and chainguard.

The handlebars have been chopped and widened, then I put in a cross bar. This (crossbar) interfered with their positioning when I tried them "board tracker" style, so I chopped it and added some flat bar braces. These have holes drilled in the top so I can route the brake cables through them.

I used an existing stem and chopped the top off, then cut some tube in half and welded some small bore pipe to them to put bolts through to clamp the bars. The V shaped piece is from the underside of an old BMX stem. Overall I think it suits the style of the bike?

More to follow, internet is being slow! grrr

Sorry to hear about the job situation,mate. Hopefully things will turn around for you soon.

It's looks like you're making good use of your holiday though :grin:

Those bars, stem and chainguard are brilliant!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Keeps getting better! I like the new chainguard better.

Back