Building of TubCycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is August 24, 2011 and progress is still going forward. I will still be at Smoopy’s bike show but will be bringing Chopcycle instead of Tubcycle. It is a great show by the way and everyone needs to mark their calendar. It is looking less and less that I will make the red neck rumble Sept 17, 2011 as well. I guess I may try to make the debut at Biketoberfest in Daytona Fla? Anyway enough rambling, Last night we did accomplished a few things. I have put the official tag on the bike that I made in Corel Draw. This will signify the date of the build as being August 2011 as the tag will not expire until next August of 2012. We now have the seat mounted and you will see the bracket’s that were made to support the seat. The seat center is 28” from the center of the pedal crank. This is about 2” shy of the measurement of Chopcycle. We also have started on the extended shifter as you will note in one of the pictures. We also took out a full link in the rear chain and installed a half link. This helped in putting the rear wheel where it needed to be. After redoing the top rail on the rear tail section we are thinking of redoing the bottom rail for a better look and may do that tonight. Once this is done we will start installing all of the cables and making sure everything works accordingly. Gas Axe Chop Shop is doing a great job in helping me with the build and they deserve a lot of credit. I truly appreciate the interest I have received and all of the fine comments. I hope to show more progress tomorrow.

DSCN0200.jpg

DSCN0202.jpg

DSCN0203.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0206.jpg

August 24, 2011 was a long night for me. As stated, I live 45 miles one way from the shop and did not leave last night until 11:15 so it was after midnight before I was home. Here in TN, I am also fighting with allergies which made for a fun evening as well. However the good news, all the fabricating and design work is over. All we like now is hooking up the brakes to both wheels. Once this is done the guys at the shop will go over all the welds and clean things up. Some of the spots are just spot welds and will be dressed up before it goes to paint. So here is what we did last night. We drilled speed holes in the side car frame and the shifter, we made the mount and installed the shifter nob, we cut small 3/8” tubing to run the cable through for the shifter and welded it to the frame and will be doing the same for the brakes, we made the bracket for the shifter cable to mount to the rear hub, we finished up the new bottom rail for the tail section and have attached a few pictures. We only work on this bike on Tuesday and Wednesday as mentioned before but we are quickly approaching paint and chroming. Ooooops I almost forgot I hope to have Lewallen Custom Interiors do the stitching for the interior of the tub and saddle on the bike. I truly appreciate your interest and hope to see you and your bike at a show soon!

DSCN0208.jpg

DSCN0211.jpg

DSCN0212.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

The guys at the shop have about 3 or 4 different kinds of welders with all types of rods. I am not a welder so that is about all I know. They are constantly changing up depending on what they are doing. i design and draw out my aspirations and they help make them into reality. I can cut, bend, sand and hold things in place when needed. "Gas Axe Chop Shop" is located in Ten Mile TN. between Atens and Sweetwater TN. Owner is Tim Dixon and a great guy to work with. Over the years they have had lots of cool stuff come out of their shop. Thanks for the kind words and Question.

Here it is only one week away from Smoopy’s bike show and I am so close, but not close enough. On August 30, 2011 we spent the night putting it all together for one last fit before paint. By now you can get a general feel about how it’s going to look. I am going for the 60’s Big Daddy Rat Fink Look and so far I believe we are on track. As stated it will be house of color green metallic and white (thinking a pearl white metallic?). There are a few pieces that will need chrome and hope to have that done locally as well. There is a lot more we could have done but there comes a time you have to say that is enough and that is where we are on the bike. Tonight we will finish up any loose ends, disassemble the bike and off it goes until the time to reassemble. Thanks to Rat Rod Bikes for allowing me to share the build on TubCycle as well as Chopcycle. The Guys at Gas Axe Chop Shop have been super to work with as well. I will continue to update the pictures until the end is finished and hope you enjoy. You will also see my latest find a 60’s 20” Western Flyer that I hope to make one cool Cruiser bike with 72 spoke rims. Only wish the original seat had been there when I found the bike. I bought it last weekend at the flea market. I may post it in the future as a future build. Thanks to everyone.

DSCN0220.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0215.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

PS: I forgot to mention that there will be a headlight on the bike. We tried the idea of a headlight onthe side car and it was a bit too much. Great idea but just didn't fit the bike. The headlight will be an older one and mounted somewhere around the handle bars.

I havent noticed this in the builds section for a while. I was sooo exited to see it has new posts since last time i saw it. I will be so cool!

September 1, 2011. It is hard to believe but the bike is in pieces in the back of my van. If you ever see this van coming your way, you will know it’s just this crazy guy who can’t keep anything stock. I keep all the seats out of the van so it makes it simple to haul Chopcycle or in the future Tubcycle or any other parts I may pick up along the way. I wanted to post a couple of more pictures showing two more mods we did last night before we took it all apart. We needed something to keep the forks from digging into the tank and so we fabricated to stops, one for each side. We also needed something to keep the shifter from going too far out of 1st and 3rd gear and made a cool shifter stop. Let’s all keep our fingers crossed that the painter does half that job the men at Gas Axe Chop Shop has done. I hope to very soon post pictures of a painted bike! Hope to see you at the Redneck Rumble car and bike show in Lebanon TN on September 17, 2011

D0600452.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0222.jpg

September 2, 2011. The bike is going to the painters tomorrow, the chrome shop has my parts to be chromed and my upholstery shop, Lewallens Custome Interiors, said he will work me in when I am ready. My Painter, James Garner, said he could have it done by Friday September 9, 2011. The Chrome Shop said it would push him but should have it done by the 15th? The Guys at Gas Axe Chop Shop said they will see that it is back together. I guess what I am saying if you were planning on going to the Redneck Rumble in TN on September 17, 2011, I hope to see you there with bike. This is one cool show with a little something for everyone and always some killer cars, trucks, bikes, live bands, swap meet and more. If not there maybe I will see you at Smoopy's Next weekend with Chopcycle. Thanks for watching!!!

September 9, 2011 3:00 pm. We are working hard to get this bike done for the redneck rumble. As you can see most of the bike is in primer and going to attempt to lay paint tomorrow. You will also notice the chrome work I had done is finished. Atlantic Coat Plating did this for me out of Athens TN. I know better than to try to paint one in 4 days but I really wanted to go to the Redneck Rumble. I will keep those pictures coming as we go. See you on the blacktop!

DSCN0251.jpg

DSCN0250.jpg

DSCN0249.jpg

DSCN0248.jpg

DSCN0247.jpg

DSCN0246.jpg

September 14, 2011 I am 3 days away from the Redneck Rumble show in Lebanon TN. As you can tell the seat is all I have together. Painting a bike in a weeks’ time is almost impossible. We have worked long hours and will be doing an overhaul TV version style if we get it together in the next two days, but we are going to give it our best shot. I will keep you posted and hope to show more pictures soon.
For those of us who attended Smoopy’s bike show last weekend it was a blast with some great deals on bikes and parts. I walked away with a box full of parts and a new bike, a mid 50’s Western Auto with a nice springer front end. Thanks to everyone who help make it a great show.
The tires on the bike can be purchased from some great guys at circlecitybicycles.com they call these, Front: Skinny Cat tire and Rear: Fat Cat Tire. Hope this helps!

DSCN0254.jpg

Thanks for the tire info, ChoppersUS used to list the rear, but no longer do, looks like the hunt is on!
Good luck on getting it ready for the show!
dorr said:
The tires on the bike can be purchased from some great guys at circlecitybicycles.com they call these, Front: Skinny Cat tire and Rear: Fat Cat Tire. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Back