Buying a rear cog for a coaster brake hub.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of cog do I look for that fits standard hubs from Walmart kids and adult bikes?

I have a 26in rear wheel from a Huffy or something and want to add a 23 or 24t rear cog. Most cogs I see say Shimano Nexus. Are they universal? Note I have an old wheel marked Tiawan on the brake arm and standard cogs WILL NOT fit that particular wheel.Never had that happen before.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

If it's a no-name hub, it may have its own standard. Unless they've changed recently, lot of the department store bikes use a mix of odd-sized stuff, be it outdated sizes or proprietary as they're intended more as disposables. If it does use an established standard, you may have to figure it out yourself or modify an existing. Is it a thread-on or snap ring? I'm not an expert, but I think the 3-nub snapring cogs are pretty much a standard and, if the ones you find don't fit, it is likely proprietary.

I had a terrible time trying to get a thread-on 3/16" width cog for the Velosteel hub to fit a skiptooth chain. I think it was a Bendix that I finally found that seemed to be the same measurement, but turned out to be just too big and I ended up ordering a snapring Velosteel and swapping the guts so I could use a repro 3/16" skiptooth cog. A little different problem than yours, but it took a lot of searching and nobody seemed to have an answer to help.

Duchess I wanted to order one but hate to spend money on something that may or may not fit. Niagra has those size cogs I believe at fair prices and cheap shipping.

Every snap ring cog I ever changed fit fine EXCEPT for this one old Sears/AMF wheel badged Tiawan that i have.. That cog is very slightly bigger inside. You could probably use another cog if you filed in out some...maybe. But I am after one to fit a regular Wally hub not that one.

Last edited:
If it's a no-name hub, it may have its own standard. Unless they've changed recently, lot of the department store bikes use a mix of odd-sized stuff, be it outdated sizes or proprietary as they're intended more as disposables. If it does use an established standard, you may have to figure it out yourself or modify an existing. Is it a thread-on or snap ring? I'm not an expert, but I think the 3-nub snapring cogs are pretty much a standard and, if the ones you find don't fit, it is likely proprietary.

I had a terrible time trying to get a thread-on 3/16" width cog for the Velosteel hub to fit a skiptooth chain. I think it was a Bendix that I finally found that seemed to be the same measurement, but turned out to be just too big and I ended up ordering a snapring Velosteel and swapping the guts so I could use a repro 3/16" skiptooth cog. A little different problem than yours, but it took a lot of searching and nobody seemed to have an answer to help.
FWIW, Velosteel drivers are ISO-thread. You can run any track cog with the "standard" 1.375 x 24 TPI threading on'm. All that old stuff, though, seems like they each had their own goofy thread standards.

Did you try a Bendix cog for the weird old Taiwan hub? Bendix ruled the roost back then, and were most likely to be "cloned" by the Taiwanese firms... plus, they were a little bit bigger than the Sturmey-Archer snap-cogs, which became the modern standard used by SRAM, Shimano, KT, etc.

Could not find a 3/16" skiptooth track cog.

Did you try a Bendix cog for the weird old Taiwan hub? Bendix ruled the roost back then, and were most likely to be "cloned" by the Taiwanese firms... plus, they were a little bit bigger than the Sturmey-Archer snap-cogs, which became the modern standard used by SRAM, Shimano, KT, etc.
No its not a Bendix type . Its exactly like Wally cupped cogs only the center is maybe 1/16 or so bigger. I left it alone.

Bendix snap cogs are exactly like Wally cupped cogs only the center is slightly bigger. Bendix moved to 3-tab snap cogs with the RB-2, and continued with the 70 and 76 models. PRevious hubs used threaded cogs.
Bendix_RB-2.jpg

The largest coaster brake sprockets I've seen available are 22t.

We got a problem. The old back wheel on my Schwinn Hornet rusted out and has a 22t screw on Bendix cog. A friend of mine built me a wheel with a 20t snap ring Bendix. I wanted him to put my old 22t sprocket and guts into the new wheel but he said it will not interchange.

If I regear the bike to a 36/20 will that be a lower gear than the present 42/22?. I need the low gearing for this heavy bike. Using the 22t is not an option.

Last edited:
42/22=1.9 x 26 = 50 gear inches.
36/20=1.8 x 26 = 47 gear inches.
so the new gear will travel 3 inches less per crank revolution so slightly easier to pedal. :thumbsup:

The largest coaster brake sprockets I've seen available are 22t.
I've got me some 23 and 24t ones. 23t Nexus are easy to find anywhere--bike shops can order'm http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/hub-part-shi-nexus-23t-sprocket-sl ; I've got threaded and snap 24t from Velosteel hubs (the snap version will fit Shimano/KT/Sturmey/SRAM/etc...) Biggest i've seen for sale are 26t; they're like special-order from the Netherlands. http://bikesmithdesign.com/cogs/index.html

@wheelhorseman I hope the 20t works out for you; i'm guessing it'll fit, but definitely be prepared for bitter disappointment.

What do you mean dissappointed? He has me a wheel with a 20t. All I need to do is put a 36t up front instead of the 42t on now.

Oh, that's awesome. I misunderstood; i thought you were planning to put the 20t Bendix cog on the Taiwan hub. Now i get it-- the entire Bendix wheel is gonna go on the bike. Nice.

Yeah you got it. I was just talking about that odd Tiawan wheel. Its actually mounted on my Ross and staying as is.

My friend says my old Bendix 22 screw on and guts wont interchane on the Bendix 20t wheel he has so I will drop some teeth up front to compensate for the gearing change. By the way I found a 23t Shimano cog on Ebay for less than 8 bucks shipped. May get that and salvage a Wally rear wheel to put it on the hornet.

Shimano Nexus makes 23T; Sturmey Archer makes 24T. 24 is bigger than 23; but the Shimano has 6 lightening holes, and is an odd number (for even wear). I had some 42-24's but may have gotten into better shape and converted to 43-23's.

Last edited:
Rad that Sturmey is offering 24t cogs now.... I've been making do with 22t cogs for a while now, but sometimes, you just want more TORQUE

Back