C.W.C. (constructed without cash) Hour late and a link short

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yeah another CWC...ya'll help me choose between the '46 or the '50. I'm leaning toward the '46. The fork fits either. The rest will fall into place. This will be a low budget build as I've recently been laid off. Luckily I have some parts I collected when times were better for me. Nonetheless, I will be joining in!
The '50
IMG_9981.jpg

The '46
IMG_9979.jpg

Re: C.W.C. (constructed without cash)

Good to see you joining the circus! What frame are you using?
Budget or not. They all are free to ride!

I like the added sweep of the 50 middle tube, but you gotta use those forks, so it should be the 46.

Stay positive. You are going to a better gig. Gtb!! Peace

Hi! The '46 is my favorite style because of the two sweeping top bars - this frame flows. I would use the '46 frame w/ the '50 springer - it's all in the same family. You'll never think you made the wrong choice with the '46 frame! Have Fun! Robert

yoothgeye said:
The '50, looks like more of a curve on the downtube.

That is correct. Apparently the downtube on CWC's changed starting in 1947. The serial number dates the bicycle just after the war when they resumed production, that's how I know it's a '46. Check out this post for a visual comparison from rms37. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33650

I like both frames. My $.02 says use the springer.
Sorry about the lay off. Great name!

When the Build off gets done, we should have a CWC cruise!
I see you're just across the river :D

If you are looking for some parts, PM me

Good Luck
Steve

Road Master said:
Hi! The '46 is my favorite style because of the two sweeping top bars - this frame flows. I would use the '46 frame w/ the '50 springer - it's all in the same family. You'll never think you made the wrong choice with the '46 frame! Have Fun! Robert

+1 46 frame is awesome! Springer forks, COOL! I'm with Road Master on this one! Can't go wrong with this combo. 8)

my vote goes to the 46 i agree with the majority of the "46 voters" the curves duke the curves!!! eh hem... sorry lil freakout there... yeah so the 46. have fun rat on rat hard

Dude the 46 has my vote! the springer is cool but there is something about that curve.its kinda like a woman, acceseries are nice, but we all fall for the curves...

The bunnies are getting hungry for an update!!!!!!

bunnyteeth.jpg

I hope you went with your first instinct.The '46 is killer 8) 8) The down tube gives it a fast look :wink:

Thank you all for the feedback! Made some decisions and I will post a photo update tonight, unfortunately decisions are the only progress I've made so far. Who knew being laid off would leave me with no free time to work on my build! But after dealing with some pressing matters that demanded my attention, I should now have enough time to finish her up by the deadline. Stay tuned!

C.W.C. (constructed without cash)...update 6/26

I've decided on the '46 frame. Now I have more decisions I could use help with. First off the paint, three layers of house paint atop the original! My dilemma is what to do once I remove the patriotic layers(red, white and blue). Keep in mind my low budget goal. Do I rock it bare? Do I hope the flat black, gloss white and red oxide primer remnants of rattle can I have left over from previous projects cover my needs? Do I take the "Easy Off" method one step further and tease my own patina out of it? My second predicament is the chrome on the fork. The fork is a repop with fresh chrome, it probably won't match the rest of the parts. I'm not sure whats hiding under the silver spray paint on the wheels, chain-ring, goose-neck, etc., but hopefully something comparable and lustrous enough to hang with the chrome on the forks. Everyone's input will be greatly appreciated!!! Here's some pics.
IMG_9982-1.jpg

The original goodies.
IMG_9987.jpg

IMG_9985.jpg

Might not use the fenders but I LOVE the curved braces.
IMG_9986.jpg

Original seat, non original lucky seven and sprocket. The sprocket is vintage from a Bendix redband with every other tooth ground off. Might need to use it on a set of wheels I have that would compliment the fork.
IMG_9988.jpg

Re: C.W.C. (constructed without cash)...update 6/26

Looks like u have all the parts,just not the time!!! :!: Why is that when we dont have work,we never have time :?:
Lookin good,interested to see how this project comes along... :D Goodluck !!!
thirstee said:
I've decided on the '46 frame. Now I have more decisions I could use help with. First off the paint, three layers of house paint atop the original! My dilemma is what to do once I remove the patriotic layers(red, white and blue). Keep in mind my low budget goal. Do I rock it bare? Do I hope the flat black, gloss white and red oxide primer remnants of rattle can I have left over from previous projects cover my needs? Do I take the "Easy Off" method one step further and tease my own patina out of it? My second predicament is the chrome on the fork. The fork is a repop with fresh chrome, it probably won't match the rest of the parts. I'm not sure whats hiding under the silver spray paint on the wheels, chain-ring, goose-neck, etc., but hopefully something comparable and lustrous enough to hang with the chrome on the forks. Everyone's input will be greatly appreciated!!! Here's some pics.
IMG_9982-1.jpg

The original goodies.
IMG_9987.jpg

IMG_9985.jpg

Might not use the fenders but I LOVE the curved braces.
IMG_9986.jpg

Original seat, non original lucky seven and sprocket. The sprocket is vintage from a Bendix redband with every other tooth ground off. Might need to use it on a set of wheels I have that would compliment the fork.
IMG_9988.jpg

Back