C.W.C. (constructed without cash) Hour late and a link short

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: C.W.C. (constructed without cash)...update 6/26

Strip the frame first and then you'll have a better idea if you like the bare metal look. The naked frame will look good with anything including the too chromey springer. Ditto on the other chrome parts - strip them and see what you have. Don't get hung up on what you might do without any forward progress. If this is a build you would rather take your time on and maybe even go a different direction make that decision now. There's not a LOT of time left. Whatever you do don't damage the fenders in any way - those aren't on every CWC you come across so treasure them. Robert

I agree with the bare metal. I would include the fenders too to see how they look bare metal. Chain guard too.

I did my 53 CWC bare metal and should have waited and used it for the build off. It came out great. If I clear coated it right away, it would have been even shinier, but a little patina looks good too.

14e8nph.jpg

Can't wait ot see some of those parts come together.
Looks like the Freaky Bunnies aren't so bad after all. :p

C.W.C. (constructed without cash)...update 6/26

@wildcat thanks for that photo. I was curious how a naked frame would look, and your bike is excellent! I planned on painting my bike this weekend, but am now going to strip it and see if I like the look!

Thanks again! :)

Made progress on the paint. I've been taking it down slowly and patiently with some Easy Off. My intent was to try and salvage the factory paint but it was too far gone underneath all the layers of house paint. What I instead tried to accomplish was a mock patina. I think it's at a point now where it looks like it's been sitting out for years. You can see the original white scallops showing through, up close there is eggshell all over. Some day when I can afford it I will give it some proper paint, but for now no cash is the motto! The chrome parts had all been painted silver long ago and after removing the paint I've found it was slathered atop a bed of rust. I've been working at bringing the chrome back to life so it approximates with the chrome on the fork. Anybody have any thoughts/ideas about Oxalic acid? Unless it's cheap and effective I will continue with the steel wool as I'm aiming for a zero budget build. Also tossing around some other ideas such as a bobbed fender and some gloss black accents to cooperate with the fork. L8r...
IMG_9991.jpg

IMG_9992.jpg

IMG_9994.jpg

Re: C.W.C. (constructed without cash)...update 7/12

Oxalic acid bump! Is it worth the dough or no? My fingers are tired! All these rhymes in my head, so darn l8 I gots 2 go 2 bed

Re: C.W.C. (constructed without cash)...update 7/12

white vinegar is about $2 a gallon (+no shipping). Give it a try.

Hour late and a link short. I did however complete my personal goal, constructed without a cent into the build. Great job to all those fine looking bikes! Thanks for the camaraderie and inspiration!
IMG_0019.jpg

Sorry you didn't make it to the finished section, but that is one cool ride.
I look at my build as a zero cost build too, because it was paind entirely with bike stuff I sold during BO7.

Great bike man!!!!

Hope you had fun!!!!

Back