Can I change a coaster Stingray to a 3-speed?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Natrona Heights, PA- 20 Miles NE of Pittsburgh
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should know the answer to this by know but this caught me off guard. I have 1980 Stingray that I was going to rebuild. Most of the original parts are gone so I am not concerned about keeping it original. Anyway, I was thinking about changing it to a 3-speed and adding caliper brakes. I wasn't even concerned that there would be a problem with the brakes, that is until I looked at it today. The fork doesn't have a hole through it and the rear doesn't look any better. Is there a way to do this? I do have a 3-speed that has a coaster brake so I could do it that way. I just wanted the look of the brake levers on the bars.

Thanks
Mike

Another member was running into a similar problem, Converting a single to five speed. Take a look at the thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13914 A rare Schwinn conversion part was suggested and shown in the thread, It appears that one could be made fairly easily. Hope this helps you out.

cody-james said:
Another member was running into a similar problem, Converting a single to five speed. Take a look at the thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13914 A rare Schwinn conversion part was suggested and shown in the thread, It appears that one could be made fairly easily. Hope this helps you out.

That would work, and I had thought about making something similar. I have another fork I could use too but it is not a Schwinn. I think I will use the 3-speed coaster I have and I won't have a problem then.

While sorting trough my pole of bikes today I came across another fork like I used in the chopper that is my avatar. I also found an old Wood Haven frame that has 26" wheels and is shaped like a Sting Ray frame. looks like it is time to build another chopper. I can fab up some mounts for the brakes on that frame. I don't mind changing things on that frame and that way the Sting Ray will still be unmodified.

Back