Cant afford a Carriage........Done and Delivered

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So, I'm going from one tandem to another (and then another, but that's another story).

A local florist has commissioned me to build a tandem bicycle to be used as a display piece at weddings. I am starting with this Columbia Twosome that I purchased from the guy I re-did the Colson dual steer for (what are the odds). I've been searching for weeks...

0421043.jpg

So far, she is thinking she prefers curved tubes over straight so I may be doing some cutting and welding, she wants it to retain some of it's patina, not too rusty, not too shiny, and for colors something light and neutral so it can be dressed up with flowers to match the individual wedding colors.

So far, I'm thinking......Chrome fenders, white walls or all white tires, re-cover the seats (fortunately they are double pan). I'll need to work up some sketches for possible frame mods and get her approval.

Re: Cant afford a Carriage........

If it''s going to be a display piece it sounds like it
needs a super heavy duty drop stand (or two) and lockable
wheels/cranks, because you know some bratty kids
are going to try to ride it :roll: Not to mention
intoxicated adults...

dropstand is a good idea.

We have already discussed making it non rieable. Might just supply a long padlock so that the cranks can get locked out.

Just got a note she wants curved tubes. Time to break out the Sawzall

I'm thinking a tank plate painted with chalkboard paint so she could decorate or custom letter it for the bride and groom.

Box-O-Bicycle, adjuster nut is siezed and the rear seatpost too. Super bad bearing design on columbia's part, they pretty much made a funnel to direct water right in there.
0421a005.jpg

test fitted some frames for the curvey makeover.

I was really hoping to cut up this Schwinn but the geometry is all off
0421a021.jpg

Looks like it will be Rollfast to the Rescue. The longer front of the Rollfast will be good in that I'll have some material to cut into
0421a020.jpg

Fortunately/unfortunately the fork blades are bent so If I need to cut right through the headset to pull the fork, no biggie

Re: Cant afford a Carriage........tear down complete

Did some cutting and welding tonight. Ended up doing an arch frame in the back. Still have a couple of bits to add but you get the idea.

Here it is jigged up prior to surgery

050512001.jpg

oops
050512002.jpg

Clean up
050512004.jpg

took quite a bit of grinding to get the head tube angle to match up
050512005.jpg

050512006.jpg

More cutting
050512007.jpg

More welding
050512008.jpg

more cutting
050512009.jpg

More welding
050512010.jpg

Just need to add a little piece of tubing between the arch and top tube and a curved piece from the upper front down tube to the tube between the bottom bracket shells. Then some grinder clean up and we're ready for paint.

Re: Cant afford a Carriage........cutting and welding 5/5

Some daytime photos
002.jpg

003.jpg

Fork options

1941 Columbia, ups, steerer tube is the right length, downs: I'll have to crimp the fender to make it fit the 2" clearance
004.jpg

50's balooner fork: Ups, chrome trim, downs: I'll have to extend the steerer tube
005.jpg

Modern mtb fork: ups: steerer tube is good length, fender fits, downs: grind off brake bosses and is the look too modern?
006.jpg

Big box of goodies today, some will go to this bike, others to the Schwinn tandem coming up
007.jpg

Re: Cant afford a Carriage........Need fork-in opinions :)

Wow. awful quiet over here, everyone must be focused on the build off. Oh well, finally had a break in the weather and got some color on this rig.

051512029.jpg

cleaned some parts on the rainy days, this stuff and a chrome fender set
051512047.jpg

So the to do list is:
sand and paint chainguard
extend steerer tube on fork and paint it up
polish up some wheels, stems and handlebars
grips and seat recovers
pinstripes or graphics of some kind
put it back together...

Re: Cant afford a Carriage........Sunshine = painting

Cool frame design!!

I personally like the '41 Columbia fork.

Really nice work...this is gonna turn out great! 8)

I'll be interested in seeing how you extend the steerer tube.

Thanks guys. Seeing as how you are the only one with a fork suggestion, I'll go with the Columbia fork and will just tweak the fender to fit. Thanks Kevintothej.

Sleepy, seems I'm always extending fork steerer tubes, I know I've posted a how to a couple of years back but I'm happy to do it again. stay tuned

The sun shines again today so hopefully after I can get to the chainguard and fork before sundown.

Re: Cant afford a Carriage........5/29 it's a Roller

So it's a roller as of this morning. Still need to drill the fork to mount the fender braces, add the chainguard and chain, waiting on seats to decide on what grips to use, few nuts and bolts here and there and some striping of some kind. This rig is scheduled for a wedding this coming weekend so the pressure is on.

027.jpg

025.jpg

023.jpg

025.jpg

030.jpg

Re: Cant afford a Carriage........5/29 it's a Roller

I used to have some of those giant wing nuts on something when I was a kid. I am so old I can't remember what!!

Here are some DONE photos from last Friday when I delivered the bike. I should get some wedding photos from the owner soon. The only thing that didn't arrive on time were some sticker graphics despite the excellent efforts by Petrohead the US postal service failed us and I did not receive the items on time. No worries though, I'll get them on there.

06012.jpg

06013.jpg

009.jpg

camera hog
008.jpg

Alright, with all your build skills (and you have TONS) why did you have to start with a tandem frame? Seems you could've easily just made your own.

Kind of seemed easier to start with the tandem backbone and go from there. This was actually the first front end transplant I have done. All in all it went pretty well. If I do any more serious frame chopping (gender swaps dont count in my book), I'll definitely build a sturdier jig.

Just got a note from the owner, she loves the bike, unfortunately the weather was bad over the weekend but she has some photos from the wedding which I will post up.

Next up is my friend Randy's schwinn tandem, it's at his paint shop now and I have no idea what color is going to come back to me at :?:

Latest posts

Back