Careful of the 'OUTLAW!' (RIDING AT LAST!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep going bro little at a time. You always push me along during my builds. Get er done

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
Thanks Karfer! :thumbsup:
Looking good! Axing the gear setup should save a little fiddling. Will be interesting to see how she rides with the fork/rake. I'd thing those motorcycle tires would be great rollers.

Great vid. Can't believe you get everything so straight and true.. Really nice work.
I wasn't sure it would come out straight enough, but it did, so I'm happy! No idea how the fork will ride yet, will find out soon though!
Fantastic machine!
Will be looking forward to the ride vid...:)
Me too! ;)

Have you ever mocked this one up?
About 4 seconds after the fork was finished I would've had to attach it to the frame just to get a look!
The suspense is tearing me up. I want to see the roller version of this SO BAD!

Carl.

About 4 seconds after the fork was finished I would've had to attach it to the frame just to get a look!

Carl.
Never been fully mocked up, I had the frame up on bricks and the fork supported in the rough position in an earlier video from memory, but not fitted to the frame, and not with the front wheel installed. Still have to build fork rockers before that can happen...

Hopefully tomorrow!

Carl.
Closest I had to a mock up was video 10, didn't even have the fork made at that point:

Now you have me really wanting to see this on it's wheels for the first time too! :nerd:

Let me see... Your tomorrow is two more days away from my side of the earth... Argh! I can't wait!

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...
download.jpg

Let me see... Your tomorrow is two more days away from my side of the earth... Argh! I can't wait!

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...
Actually it is tomorrow here already, but it doesn't look like happening today...

What's the plan for stopping, now that you're eliminating the jack-shaft arrangement?
He's making a giant rim brake out of an old pair of ice tongs...

Merle. :crazy:

What's the plan for stopping, now that you're eliminating the jack-shaft arrangement?
He's making a giant rim brake out of an old pair of ice tongs...

Merle. :crazy:
Will mount a disc off the other side of the rear axle/crank axle where the drive chain from the jackshaft was going to connect. Front wheel will have a disc too.

Missed a few updates on this, glad to see it and you going again.
Hope you can finish by the deadline, if not maybe you'll have a winter like we did in the states.
Definitely have some warm days.

Specially for you Carl, I went out after dark tonight (well last night now, it is 2am Thursday here!) and got the fork on!

2017-03-09 01.47.48.jpg
2017-03-09 01.46.43.jpg

I hate it... :21:

Never really been a fan of front suspension anyway, but that just looks hideous!

I do think the underslung leaf fork has merit, but not on this bike, or at least not on a fork this long, the wheel looks to be just floating out there in the middle of nowhere.

Thinking I might lose the front suspension, maybe revisit it on another build, or just admit I don't like it and hide the parts away where I will never see them again!

Feel free to use the idea anyone that wants it! :thumbsup:

By the way, it currently sits 9'3" long, it will lose about 8" removing the front rockers so total length will be around the 8'7" mark.

Missed a few updates on this, glad to see it and you going again.
Hope you can finish by the deadline, if not maybe you'll have a winter like we did in the states.
Definitely have some warm days.
I should at least have it riding by the deadline, but I am trying for fully finished, including paint and leather.
It was an interesting summer for us, only a few truly hot days over 40C (105F) and lots of rain, so I have no idea what to expect for this winter, hopefully mild!

Luke, I see what you mean about the wheel just floating out there. Before you scrap it, mock it up with a fender to help visualize if more visual mass out front could tie the wheel into the fork better.

What a great bit of engineering !
You might be right about the look, but from the picture point of view it looks pretty awesome to me!
Maybe you'll like it better when the tires on ?

A while back, you and I talked about single side swingarms. I recently started designing that bike, I'll have to pick your brain about that more.

Depending on the rules for the next M.B.B.O, I might jump in.

Imagine random motivation only with this on the back.

f352bb71a7dc4119d9aa22f1f7ec382c.jpg

Luke, I see what you mean about the wheel just floating out there. Before you scrap it, mock it up with a fender to help visualize if more visual mass out front could tie the wheel into the fork better.
A fender could work to help balance it out, not sure where to find one for a 21x3, might have to try a motorcycle wreckers... :39:

Then again, fender on the front and no fender on the back is not a look I enjoy, and adding a fender to the rear might destroy the floating effect of the single sided rear...

Thanks for the suggestion King, I will think more on it. Time may end up being the deciding factor.
What a great bit of engineering !
You might be right about the look, but from the picture point of view it looks pretty awesome to me!
Maybe you'll like it better when the tires on ?
I will drag it out for proper pics when the sun comes up, maybe I might like it more...
Removing the rockers looks like a good move. Still plenty of fork there. Should help make it a wee bit more rideable too.
Yes, that crossed my mind too!
I imagine that no matter how good I made those nylon bushes there will still be movement, and having movement way out there on the end of a huge fork with huge rake involved might be interesting!
A while back, you and I talked about single side swingarms. I recently started designing that bike, I'll have to pick your brain about that more.

Depending on the rules for the next M.B.B.O, I might jump in.

Imagine random motivation only with this on the back.

f352bb71a7dc4119d9aa22f1f7ec382c.jpg
Looking forward to that!

If the MBBO is happening again, and if I am running it, pretty sure Class 2 rules will go back to the 2 out of 3 set up, Class 1 will remain with the strict rules from this last one. Should cover all the bases... ;)

I like it, and I wonder if hooking up the leaf would help it feel more solid. I know the rockers on my rat trap have shoulder bolts with bushings and I can see how that tightens it up. Those are some long rockers too, makes your bike an inch longer than Harlequin T! The drawing makes it look spindley and in actuality it's not, and I think that's what bugging you. It looks pretty heavy.

Carl. (I still like it...)

Shorter rockers would stiffen it up too, if I've got the leverage in my head right...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back