*** CARTBOARDTRACKER ***

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** ...extra seat for the girlies...

sport_94.jpg

^ Just before I discovered Ratrodbikedotcom I was toying with the idea to put a skateboard on my ATB that would function as a rack. But it didn't happen... I just couldn't find the right deck. However I did find a beautiful one on a fleamarket several months ago, but its fibreglass, has a nice print on top, but ahem... it's just too nice to cut up. So. I'm restoring a skateboard... I grinded off a fraction of an inch overall to make the lines crisp again. One truck is done polished, and for the other I just need some ballbearings and steelwool... It's the white one in the pic above.

Back on topic...
For the cartboardtracker-build I wanted again a wooden seat on top of my rack. I had this idea of two or three pieces of wood with a layer of leather from an old belt. But last saturday at work I found an old wooden desk chair from the 80's with a broken frame. I drilled out the rivets and took the curved wood home. I love using prefabbed items differently than intended. Especilally curved wood. So I cut two pieces from the sides and bolted it to two pieces of wood with the rack in the middle. And guess what... It's even nicer than a skateboard. The curve fits better to the rest of my bike.

sport_93.jpg

^ First mock up. Still have to make the two sides even.

sport_99.jpg

^ done...

sport_97.jpg

sport_98.jpg

^ this is pretty much it. Thinking about blacking out the bottom pieces. Those are big chuncks, and I don't know if they're gonna bother me later on...

sport_100.jpg

^ I cut off 1,5 inches from both sides of the handlebars. With the tankplate in place I wasn't able to make tight corners. I don't mean while cycling though. But when I'm putting the bike aside trying not to damage it... I still can't do freestyle tricks, but the short bars help.

sport_95.jpg

^ And finaly, just before I wanted to throw away the heavily damaged headbadge I noticed It WASN'T damaged. It IS some sort of oxidation but it's on top of the paint. I have been rubbing it after spraying WD40 for half an hour. So maybe another half an hour of elbowgrease and my badge might well be clean...

sport_96.jpg

^ I wanted to make my own, but kinda like this one now...

sport_91.jpg

^ Here's my bike as it is now. Still have to come up with an idea for the tankplates...

This is one bad machine !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job.... I would like to see the board, bars, stem, and crankset painted black, it would look sinister!!!!!!!!

If you've got any chair left, you could make the clamp boards with that, with a couple of cleats of the same materiel, instead of the thick grooved blocks.

That back rack is the bomb. Looks very sleak.

Thanks guys!

chaley said:
Loving this build, the dickie seat is way cool!

Chaley

Thanks Chaley, but I prefer the term 'chicky seat'...
; - ) ; - ) ; - )

BOSKIPPER said:
This is one bad machine !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job.... I would like to see the board, bars, stem, and crankset painted black, it would look sinister!!!!!!!!

Thanks boskipper, I was/am thinking about that. Don't think I have the guts though.. Besides, I do like to have some shiny bits on my bike. Especially if the quallity is beyond okay.

deorman said:
If you've got any chair left, you could make the clamp boards with that, with a couple of cleats of the same materiel, instead of the thick grooved blocks.

I'm with you deorman: What the .... was I thinking?!?
errr nothing actually... As always. That is why I end up fabricating all the things that I make, twice... Yesterday, I've made new clamps. Mucho sleeker than the chunks you've seen uptill now. There was just no way I could make that wood 'disappear' with just a touch of black paint...

Oh, and can you imagine that early in the morning the plan was to mount these chunks of wood on TOP of the rack? With no curvature pointin upwards at all, but with a leather top for 'cushioning'... The wooden seat I took home had a pressed-in dent for your bee-you-tee-tee in the middle, making me think it'll suit another bike better. Not to mention the holes for the steel frame it sat on... But suddely it came to me that I could just use the un-dented sides, INCLUDING the holes. I just had to drill four more...

Photo's coming up!

Looking good!! :D The rear rack is really nice! You know, there's a motorcycle in Sweden from the 50's ( a Husquarna called Rödmyran) with a seat for one person. But when they wanted to ride two on it there was an extra seat, like a pillow, to attach to the rack...just thought you might get ideas... :wink: Someday I'll get one of those motorcycles and restore it! :)

sport_108.jpg

sport_103.jpg

sport_107.jpg

sport_105.jpg

sport_101.jpg

sport_102.jpg

^ Another hot summers day in Holland. I wanted to take some beautyshots of my bike and I noticed I was avoiding the huge wooden clamps on the underside of the wooden seat and thought: 'There's no way I'll be able to hide those with just some black paint...' So I had to make me some new ones. I used an old broomstick I had laying around:

sport_110.jpg

sport_111.jpg

^ Yesterday after dinner I spend some time pollishing my wood, because I want a really beautiful rack. (pun intended ; - ) I cut the broomstick down the middle and to the right size. Rounded off all four corners and flattened the 'topside' to give the nuts more 'bite'.

The difference is... well... HUGE! Installed, they are hardly visable, and when you've finally noticed them, they look kinda nice! To show the difference I installed just one, but ofcourse I finnished them both by now:

sport_112.jpg

sport_113.jpg

sport_114.jpg

sport_115.jpg

To do:

- I've got some marine-laquer for the the seat. Will do that today.
- Try to clean the headbadge even more
- Still have to come up with an idea and design for my tankplate...

Oh, and below is the bike that inspired me to make a '2nd seat'. I spotted it on the Bottrop Kustom Kultereshow in Germany I attended earlier this month. Initially I wanted to make it just like that. With the two non curved chunks of wood I eventually used for clamps, with leather straps attached on top. My report on the Bottrop Kustom Kulture Show 2009 (Germany)

sport_116.jpg

Galtbacken said:
Looking good!! :D The rear rack is really nice! You know, there's a motorcycle in Sweden from the 50's ( a Husquarna called Rödmyran) with a seat for one person. But when they wanted to ride two on it there was an extra seat, like a pillow, to attach to the rack...just thought you might get ideas... :wink: Someday I'll get one of those motorcycles and restore it! :)

Thanks Galtbacken!
I just googled the motorcycle. Always thought Husquarna was just only a sewingmachine... But such a seat was just what I had in mind. I mean, seperate seats on one cycle that is, with some sort of minimal padding as posted above...

Re: ** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** ...nice rack. pollished my wood...

Thanks guys.

You know what's more boring than watching paint dry?

sport_117.jpg

sport_118.jpg

^ It's watching clear lacquer dry...

Maybe it's exciting from up close!

sport_119.jpg

^ ...nope. Still boring. No, that's a lie... It surprised me to see the broomstick turn orange when lacquered.

That's all for now. I hate it when I just can't finish the job before I go to bed...

Ah, no sleep was the cause. When I saw your first clamps I thought maybe you had one to many "groceries"! Much better now, more up to your usual efforts.

deorman said:
Ah, no sleep was the cause. When I saw your first clamps I thought maybe you had one to many "groceries"! Much better now, more up to your usual efforts.

Heheh...
You've cracked me up yesterday.

: - D

"I've had one too many groceries..."
From now on, THAT will be my excuse...

; - )

Re: ** CARTBOARDTRACKER ** ...logo on the tankplate...

Haven't been very active on the replies last couple of days because of a lame internetconnection. I'm trying to view as many updates as I can. I had a lot of trouble just to upload my pics in photobucket. The not-so-dutch summerheat is not helping either. Very hot these days...

Update:
I think this build is coming to an end. I know: A hotrod is never completely 'done', so don't be surprised if you see some more updates after this one... I could not decide what text or name I should put on the thankplate, so I did my logo/character I use for my graphic design work. ( The 'W' is the initial of my familyname. I made a character out of it: A mouth with 3 teeth and 2 eyes.
Materials used:
pencil, paper, knife, glue in a spraycan, stickersheet (=stick-on mask), Maskingtape to transfer the mask onto the bike, Montana beige spraypaint, and gloss black householdpaint, because I was too impatient to wait for the beige to dry... Didn't want to wait another day just to mask it all up again to spraypaint it black...

sport_141.jpg

sport_142.jpg

sport_143.jpg

sport_144-1.jpg

sport_140.jpg

This is it. I think it's done.

sport_153.jpg

sport_145.jpg

sport_146.jpg

sport_147.jpg

sport_150.jpg

sport_154.jpg

sport_149.jpg

sport_152.jpg

sport_156.jpg

sport_151.jpg

sport_155.jpg

sport_157.jpg

yeah, it's finished. I'm happy the way it came out. I'm loving the red oxideprimer so that's gonna stay for a while. It rides pretty well too. I got a great compliment from an old fart when I was taking pictures. Het told me: 'That's a nice bike... It really is.' He went to get his elderly wife, but she wasn't too interested but he continued:'This is a unique bike...' I tried to explain to him that I made it look that way but somehow he didn't comprehend.

But that's okay. I love it when people think there once was a time you could buy this bike in a store...

sport_158.jpg

Thanks for following my build!

Back