cassette removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Shimano VIA 6 speed cassette that I would like to remove from the hub, is this threaded onto the hub or is it more integral to the hub. Most of the Freewheel cassettes I've been able to break the center portion loose and spin it off, this one does not look the same. I do find 2 notches 180 degree offset inside after removing the outter metal seal and the balls. I did try reversing it off by tapping it counter clockwise on the notch with a punch but no movement, and I'm not sure if it's pressed onto the center tube as shown in the picture.

hub.jpg

the small cog is most likely the 'lockring'. one chain whip to hold one of the middle cogs, a second to loosen the outer one, then they will slide off the cassette body just like on a modern rear hub. it is a cassette, not a freewheel- only the cogs will come off in this procedure, the ratcheting mechanism will still be attached to the hub. a new 6s cassette is virtually impossible to find, obviously the hub bearings can be overhauled without removing it, it may not be worth the bother if it's stubborn........... :)

Thank you big time, I won't bother going further with it, I'll just relube the balls and reassemble it for a project, I wonder how a six speed would be, with just a single chain ring, I never use more than 2 or 3 gears most of the time anyway....

Back