Chainstays

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15387

Inactive Account
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Have a '20s/30s motobike bike with a dented and bent chain stay. It looks like something backed into it... Can these be bent back into shape and hold up to casual riding, or will I have to scrap the frame? The dent is about the side of a nickel maybe, put a little crease but no cracks into the pipe. I've heard of people using 2x4s to lever rear triangles straight again. Is this doable on these old frames or am I down the river again?

dent2.jpg

dent1.jpg

The back triangle is aligned now, as best as I can tell, using the string triangle method. It took a fair bit of work and levering to get it, but it measures out pretty evenly. I also cleaned the dent. The metal is crumpled/folded but not cracked. I'm wondering if there is some kind of home brazing/patching that I could do to strengthen it a bit. I know I could do a cosmetic fill and paint, but am wondering if there is an alternative that could provide a little bolstering, that does not require welding stuff. I have no real welding ability, though am wondering if some kind of patch metal piece could be closely fitted and brazed in. Hmmm

The bike has been over painted and is a rider quality, not show. If there's a little line or whatever there after I over paint it, that's fine. I just don't want a. mess, and b. to have the stay go soft or break underneath me while riding. I'm not heavy at all and quite gentle on the road, but still would feel more at ease with a little bolster.

you could wrap thin sheet metal over it or 2 pipe half and clamp it with some Hose Clamp Ring,
do it all the length so the clamps won't catch the eyes that much in the middle of the stay
do this on both side and it will double as chain/grease protector 8)

Back