cheap springer?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i goofed up the first time i tried posting this, so if it shows up twice, mods please forgive and delete one of them.
ive read the threads about the abe linkage, i liked it, then the price jump thing, so now im thinking of an idea ive had for a while now. i see new bmx-style forks from 16" to 26" for under $20. why not put one in front of the fork (backwards, maybe?) attached with rockers at the bottom and slide the springs over the steerer tube?the rockers and top linkage could be made from scrap steel (1/4" strong enough, right?), and gramma took the the porch swing down for the winter, she'll never miss the springs till may :lol: . im sure somebody else thought of this, maybe even done it, but i dont hear about it, so why not? is this a good idea or should i leave the cough syrup alone?

Like this? Found this in my 'fork design ideas' folder.
I love the location of the headlight too!

3647071309_fb15a23fb7_b.jpg

Build it dude!

Cheers!
Dr. T

thats sweet, dr.t. i knew somebody had to have done it before! i realize the bmx forks are perhaps too beefy for this, but its gotta be cheaper. and i think most of us build rats because its all we can afford AND its cool. 8) i was thinking, if the steerer tube is too big, whack it off & weld on a smaller tube for the springs. i may build one of these when i get my mtb back together.

Back