Cheapo cruiser build..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a bike in a long while, and really have an itch to go ride, so I started to piece together this beater... Just something to cruise downtown, nothing super special. I picked up this frame on craigslist for a few dollars. Its a Schwinn, but I don't know anything about it. This week I'm trading some pinstriping work for a box of parts, and have some Duro creams coming in the mail.... The plan is to have a nice riding bike by the end of next week!

The frame is painted with Krylon Glitter Blast metal flake. Not to shabby for a rattle can! I'll try to get some pics in the sunlight, it really pops.
IMAG3339.jpg

Nice job, paint looks jam up, should be a fun build. 8)

Kept forgetting to get some pics, but I found one I took before adding the black..
IMAG3276-1.jpg

New tires came in the mail as well!!!!
40891c38-534b-4708-b435-332e4444b285.jpg

Been working with a really kool dude trading some paint work for parts. Got a 3spd hub, Schwinn style springer forks, some nice wheels, an old Schwinn crank, a couple chainwheels to choose from, and an old Schwinn road bike seat (the kind with all the springs), and a bunch of other goodies. I love bartering!!

Here's some of the work I did on his bike-
963877_662040617148190_1110105124_o.jpg

MORE TO COME!!!

Thanks for the compliments!!

I'm thinking of going with a single speed hub and not a 3 speed... Mostly I'm just leaning towards a cleaner look with no cables. Also thinking of going with a 26x2.125 white wall in the rear, and the front 26x1-3/8 wheel and white wall of an old road bike I have.... it'd look sinister with the fat rear and skinny front. What are some opinions on this?

Here's the first mock up... Found these really nice wide rims, polished them up and swapped the hub on the rear for a good coaster brake (looks like a Shimano).. My buddy found a nice piece of off-white leather in an alley that he's gonna sew up into a seat cover for me. People throw the koolest things away... Best part is, this bike has only cost me $40 and some artwork so far!! Hopefully tomorrow she'll be all together and rideable, other wise it'll have to wait til next week... I'm also collecting parts to put a bike together for the missus! that'll be next..

IMAG3365.jpg

Back