Chrome de Elegance

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started with this stock Alpine Guadalupe Mountain bike. I have stripped it and swapped most parts for a mock up a few weeks ago until I heard there was going to be a build off. It has remained unchanged and unfinished since and still has a long way to go. My inspiration for this build is the book "The Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles".

100_0002.jpg

100_0013.jpg

100_0003.jpg

100_0019.jpg

100_0021.jpg

100_0001.jpg

This is how it sits today, May 1st, still in the initial mock up stage with lots of work to do.

100_0003-1.jpg

Mmm...shiny! :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see the rest of the mods!

Wheels are 26 by 1 3/8 from a Free Spirit Brittany. I'm really stuck with this project right now because I can't find any shop that sells the right freewheel removal tool. I need to repack the rear wheel bearings and put on my chrome spoke protector. The freewheel is a Falcon.

Yes the stickers are coming off. I have the left side stripped and have a different reack on it that levels out on the top and matches the frame better. I was waiting to get the back wheel done before posting my next picture.

I cant get this freewheel off to redo the bearings
100_0004.jpg

Here's a few more parts for it
100_0005.jpg

Here's my toybox, there's a car,a camper shell above this area, a moped, and 19 bikes in my 1 car garage.
100_0006.jpg

Fireproof said:
After watching what you did with "Captain America ", I'm looking forward to seeing this one! 8)

I still get it out once in a while 8) Jeff (aka Ratdaddy) Stored it for over a year for me. We moved in December and a garage at the new place was a must. I still have nowhere to paint anything but Im good with that, I do have a place to work on stuff though.

100_0009.jpg

The 3 Dahons came in a package deal that I traded an old saw for. 2 will be repaired and kept in the trunk, 1 will be for parts

Today I finally was able to get the freewheel off. my next move is to repack the real axle, put the freewheel, spoke protector, tire and tube on and them move on to another part of the bike. This has been my biggest setback on this project and Im finally past it. :D

Well my spoke protector doesn't work like I thought it would and I don't have a pair of fenders I want to use on this bike. Money is extremely tight right now so hopefully the right parts come along in a trade. I have too much time and money into this bike already and I dont want to settle for parts I dont really like to finish it for a contest.

Today my wife told me she has no interest in the Schwinn Breeze I got for her. So ta da, I have the fenders I need and I got my back wheel done. I'll post some pics when I get the fenders on it. I have to drill the rivets holding the braces on and use some others.

Latest posts

Back